cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Roll up sub-parts of gathering parts in the bill of materials when the sub-parts are the same.

tredmond
4-Participant

Roll up sub-parts of gathering parts in the bill of materials when the sub-parts are the same.

I'm looking for a way to get sub-parts of gathering parts rolled up on the single-level BOM. 

Currently, if I run the single level BOM report on a structure that contains gathering parts, the sub-components of the gathering parts are brought up 1 level to show in the single level BOM, as expected.  However, when the structure has multiple gathering parts and those gathering parts have sub-components that are the same, such sub-components show as separate lines in the single level BOM report.

Example...  The structure has two gathering parts that are hardware stack-ups of screws with washers.  Both gathering parts utilize the same part number of washer.  When the single level BOM report is run, the washers appear twice on separate lines.   

I tried the single level consolidated report.  It gets closer to the result I am looking for, but doesn't allow usage information such as find numbers to be displayed.

I'd also love a way to get the usage tab in windchill to hide the gathering parts and only show me the subparts.

2 REPLIES 2
rdöberl
6-Contributor
(To:tredmond)

We have the same problem with the gathering assemblies. These assemblies would actually be a good thing, but PTC has not thought the whole thing through to the end.
If a collective assembly is used several times, then the quantities of the individual parts are also not correct. Here, it is always assumed that a subassembly is only used once. When outputting the parts list to Creo Elements Modeling, we have written our own program that at least outputs the parts in the assemblies as a single line in the parts list if the parts occur more than once. But this does not solve the problem that collective assemblies can be used more than once. Also, you cannot properly assign item numbers to parts of a gathering assembly. According to PTC, this was never intended and has never been tested. So this functionality is almost unusable.

rhart
15-Moonstone
(To:rdöberl)

In the second sub-assembly, the line/find number and other usage attributes could be different, how could it be in a single line?

Announcements

Top Tags