cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Auto-updating table & item links

sdeshpande
1-Newbie

Auto-updating table & item links

Our word documents have a lot of tables that auto-update based on the information in the document.

Is this functionality retained when the document is imported into Integrity?
Ie. if the numbers the table references are changed, the table should auto update.

I don't think it's currently worked in the manner I have imported the document, but is there any way to set this up?

Also, while linking to an Integrity item, you have the option of choosing to "Display Text" and manually entering what you want it to look like.

Unless you manually type the name of the item, it shows the item type and the item ID (ie. System Requirement Document 12345).

Is there any way to change this to automatically show the title of the document or the text of the requirement?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LLawton
14-Alexandrite
(To:sdeshpande)

As far as I know, this is not done via script but a embedded in the client (I don't think the web interface offers that).

All "automatically generate" does is what you showed here (generate the text as Type + ID) and there's nothing you can customize there.

The only workaround I can think of would be a trigger that scans the text and replaces the item link with what you want here.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite

Hello Sourabh,

With regard to your first request:

Sourabh Deshpande wrote:

Our word documents have a lot of tables that auto-update based on the information in the document.

Is this functionality retained when the document is imported into Integrity?
Ie. if the numbers the table references are changed, the table should auto update.

I don't think it's currently worked in the manner I have imported the document, but is there any way to set this up?

I believe the functionality you are discussing would normally be done with Macros in Microsoft Word.  I don't believe that functionality is preserved on Import, only the content of matching items.  I'll double-check, though.

If I'm right, you might be able to set it up by modifying your export template to include the macros that provide that functionality.

With regard to your second request:

Sourabh Deshpande wrote:

Also, while linking to an Integrity item, you have the option of choosing to "Display Text" and manually entering what you want it to look like.

Unless you manually type the name of the item, it shows the item type and the item ID (ie. System Requirement Document 12345).

Is there any way to change this to automatically show the title of the document or the text of the requirement?

Do you mean in the outline view of a document?  CS178979 has the instructions for that.  You'll probably also want CS178265's work-around to ensure that the modification is "remembered" by the client.  If the latter is at least an inconvenience for you, I encourage you to open a case with Support to have your organization added to RFC 986614.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.  Otherwise, please mark the answering post as correct by pressing on theCorrect Answer button of the relevant post.

Thanks,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager

Hi Kael,

Thanks for the quick response.

The response to my first question makes sense, please let me know if you find any further information or tips to including macros in the export template.

However for the second question, I think you misunderstood.

I don't mean the outline view of the document. I am talking about when I am linking to another Integrity Item, say System Requirement Document 123 and I don't want the document to be viewed in line, but I want the title of the document rather than the Type and ID.

So for example:

Currently this is what it would look like:

References:

1. System Requirement Document 123 (item link)

2. System Requirement Document 124 (item link)

What I want it to look like:

References:

1. Cooling System Requirement (item link)

2. System Fans Requirement (item link)

I know this is possible by manually changing the Display Text but from simple deduction around how the outline view works, I am assuming you can change the attributes displayed and make the "Short title" or "Text" of an item the default rather than it's Type and Document ID?

Hope that makes more sense.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite

Hello Sourabh,

Do you mean a relationship field?  The default can be modified by the administrator by editing the Default Columns tab on the relationship to include the Document Short Title field (it may have a prefix, or might otherwise be customized, depending on how your document solution was set up).  You can customize it yourself (just for you on the workstation you are on) by right-clicking on the column headings of the relationship, and selecting Configure Columns..., then adding the Document Short Title field and re-positioning it appropriately with the up/down arrows, before clicking on OK.

If that's not what you mean, can you provide a screenshot with the visual context of where you're trying to change this?

Thanks,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager

Unfortunately that's not what I'm referring to..

Maybe this will help.

displaytext.PNG

Do you see how the Display Text, when automatically generated, shows the "Type" and "ID" of the item I am trying to insert a link to?
I would like it to automatically generate other attributes.

I am assuming that this is done using a script, which means it should be editable to any attribute common among all items.

It'd be great if you could let me know if this is possible, and if so, please point me in the right direction.

Users don't want to have to type in the title every time they're linking items, which is a frequent use case.

I hope that clears it up.

Thanks again for your help.

LLawton
14-Alexandrite

As far as I know, this is not done via script but a embedded in the client (I don't think the web interface offers that).

All "automatically generate" does is what you showed here (generate the text as Type + ID) and there's nothing you can customize there.

The only workaround I can think of would be a trigger that scans the text and replaces the item link with what you want here.

Thank you Laurent... although it's not what I wanted to hear.

Top Tags