cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Maintaining Traces copying requirements

ptc-4551206
1-Newbie

Maintaining Traces copying requirements

Does anyone know of a way to copy a requirement item and have all related traces also copy to other target documents?

We have three levels of requirements documents, User, Design, and System. We want to store our requirements in librarys organized by feature. The documents will contain the full description of the feature, the feature may be implemented over the course of multiple software releases.

So we would have a project:

/FEATURE A

User Requirement Document A

UR A-1 (Traces to DR A-1)

UR A-2 (Traces to DR A-2)

UR A-3 (Traces to DR A-3)

Design Requirement Document A

DR A-1 (Traces to SR A-1)

DR A-2 (Traces to SR A-1)

DR A-3 (Traces to SR A-1)

System Requirement Document A

SR A-1

SR A-2

SR A-3

later when we create 1.0 of our software we will only implment one aspect of feature A, Release 1.0 also will have user requirements, design requirements and system requirements comming from multiple features. We want to copy the items from the feature libary to the release documents and keep the traces, is there anyway I can insert UR A-1 and have DR A-1 and SR A-1 go into additional documents and maintain the traces? I can propogate traces but that is when you branch an entire document, I am only branching portions of a document(s).

Could a trigger allow prompting for the destination documents for traced/related items, so when I copy one User Requirement, I'm asked if I want to copy in and link the related/traced Design and System Requirements?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-4551206)

Hello James,

This would have to be done using the Trigger API, but I'm not sure of the particular beans you would have to instantiate.

If you like, I could get Customer Services involved, and see if they could assist you with this.

Regards,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-4551206)

Hello James,

This would have to be done using the Trigger API, but I'm not sure of the particular beans you would have to instantiate.

If you like, I could get Customer Services involved, and see if they could assist you with this.

Regards,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager

Kael,

Thanks but I think we decided another option. we will keep the documents in library projects and put an ibpl field the relate the line items to the software release project. that way we can export the documents as part of our design history file and identify what was implemented with a specific release.

Top Tags