cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

We need PTC R&D and Product Management to monitor this site and contibute

LLawton
14-Alexandrite

We need PTC R&D and Product Management to monitor this site and contibute

As far as I can tell, only a few individuals from PTC Support sometimes respond to questions. Without more active contributions from the product experts, there are lots of questions that are left unanswered or partially answered. We, clients, are left to support each other as best as we can by volunteering our time. I do contribute answers when I can, but I have never received a single answer to my own questions posted here. As a result, I end up contacting Support directly, but this is not helping our community as a whole.

I think more proactive involvement from PTC is needed here.

8 REPLIES 8
DanR.
10-Marble
(To:LLawton)

You stated the answer in your post "PTC Support", which is who I contact when I have an issue.  Nearly ALL of my issues have been resolved by opening a case in PTC support. Although It does depend on your needs and the level of support your company purchased.  This is the "PTC User Community". 

LLawton
14-Alexandrite
(To:DanR.)

Sure, but if you read my post again you'll realize I didn't mention issues. When I have issues, my first stop is PTC Support.

But there are lots of questions that don't rise to the level of a support call that merit an answer, and very often the best answers come from the product developers.

As a side note, we (the "PTC User Community") have been posting a lot of product ideas over the past few months. Do you know if PTC is looking at them and that they could have any impact on product direction? Wouldn't a little bit of feedback be useful?

DanR.
10-Marble

You can still call PTC Support for a question, it does not have to be an issue.  I agree with your premise.

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite

Hello Laurent Lawton‌,

Thank you for bringing this up.  I've raised your points for discussion internally.

Regards,

Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager
JensN.
13-Aquamarine

I'm supporting Laurents suggestion. Since PTC seems to use the idea-portal here in the community-platform as an extension (or successor?) of the old RfC-process, it is very important to make it sure that these ideas doesn't be placed in a black hole.

kind regards, Jens

khoppe
14-Alexandrite

Hello Laurent (and all others,

I like to add some thoughts of mine to your post:

There are different possibilities to get in contact about Integrity (and other) topics.

1. Open a case
    This is only a connection between a customer and PTC support, where the answer will provided to the customer only.
    Who's knowledge increase?  Customer + PTC Support
    Sometimes a case get's a follow-up with a ...
  2. Document (Knowledge Base)
    I don't know under which conditions a Document will be prepared and by whom exactly (PTC Support ?),
    but I guess it is done from Support if a question will be raised at least twice and the answer seems to be of common interest.
    Who's knowledge increase?   Everyone who have an eye on documents.
  3. White Book's and other documentation
    Provided by PTC, also part of Knowledge Base.
  4. Idea application
    Intention has been to have a possibility to discuss RfC's within Customer Commuity together with PTC's Program Management
    Application is new and from my perspective there is missing important functionality to get it usable.
    AND till now PTC's Program Management seems to NOT use this application.

Main problem from my perspective is that there exist different areas where will be worked on issues, ideas, and other content, but more or less independent from each other. It looks like there is no concept to bring these content together, as well as there seems to be parts of this content areas driven by different departments of PTC.

On the other hand I'm glad that there exists all these content whereas it is hard to find something in cause of:
=> idea application does not support to have an overview what a user already have read (see Extend overview list with "your vote" & read by user)

=> it looks like there is no activiy from Program Management (since start of application till today we have 166 ideas, ALL in state "Open for Voting" !!!!)

=> I've had a discussion with PTC Support to take over older Cases (=> RfC's) into ideas for general discussion. Answer: can't be done cause these cases are individual customer cases on one hand and Ideas is not their application (same for RfC's which have been forwarded to Program Management. My reaction: another idea raised: Take Over of existing RfC'S as new ideas

Shortly summarized:

There are many infos spread over different applications at PTC, but there is missing a concept for a combined knowledge management.

(just my 0,02 € of opinion)

JensN.
13-Aquamarine
(To:khoppe)

Hi Klaus,

i am completely following your concerns. Especially for the handling of ideas and the lack of information about the official rfc-process we are definitely not happy at the moment. We already did ask these questions to our technical support account of PTC, to the sales people, to PTC R&D, but we didn't get any kind of official information about this. This is very unsatisfying.

As we had very big problems in the past with MKS and later with PTC with the way they are handling enhancement requests (some of them were open and unfinished for the period of at least 8 years!) we are heavily concerned at the moment that this will start to go worse again.

kind regards, Jens

spartridge
5-Regular Member

I thought this would be the most appropriate thread to post my first reply.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for holding us to our task, especially Laurent for kicking it off! I agree the content in the idea portal is stale and there is not enough feedback, so I am going to change that. That said, I will be upfront that there are certain aspects I am not sure how it will work yet but I am committed to do what I can to continuously improve this experience.

The actions I am currently taking to address this are...

- Myself and the members of the product owner team will be setting aside time each week to review the new submissions

- We will comment on the ideas we review to at least indicate that it has been read even if that is the only comment, but where possible we will provide immediate feedback

- During the release planning phase which is twice per year, I will review what is being planned and how it correlates with the ideas on this page so that I can update the progress if any and provide feedback.

I am sure I will have more to add on this topic in the future but this was a good start.

Top Tags