cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

what is a build sandbox

tschruben
1-Newbie

what is a build sandbox

I come from the Microsoft TFS world, and now i'm obviously working with Integrity. In TFS if you needed to setup CI for a branch you just created a build definition and linked it to the branch, and every time someone checked in a file a build would start.

I see that Integrity seems to have a couple different branching concepts. One of these branch types is a build branch. What is this build branch and why would I want one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello Tim,

a build branch doesn't exist. A build is the same as a checkpoint, a snapshot of a sandbox of a specific point in time. If you configure a sandbox to be a build sandbox, it will always have the exact state as when the snapshot was taken. But if you configure it to be a variant sandbox (variant = branch) it will always have the latest state of each of it's contents.

Hope this helps...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hello Tim,

a build branch doesn't exist. A build is the same as a checkpoint, a snapshot of a sandbox of a specific point in time. If you configure a sandbox to be a build sandbox, it will always have the exact state as when the snapshot was taken. But if you configure it to be a variant sandbox (variant = branch) it will always have the latest state of each of it's contents.

Hope this helps...

Thanks Matthias! Based on what your telling me. It sounds like if you are setting up a build server to do CI, you would not want to use the build sandbox. The build sandbox sounds more useful for when you can say "The code at this checkpoint is version X.X of your application". Does that sound right?

I'm not sure if I understood you right.

A "build" in terms of Integrity has nothing to do with a SW-build or continuous integration. It's just another term for "checkpoint". And a checkpoint is a frozen state of a sandbox at a specific point in time.

Top Tags