cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

10.1 M030 - Adding Additional Disposition Columns

MikeIbosh
1-Newbie

10.1 M030 - Adding Additional Disposition Columns

All,

Has anyone had to add additional (new) disposition types (columns) to the AffectedActivityData link?
I have been requested to add two additional disposition columns to the affected items table.
I have looked up this customization in the guide, but thought I'd ask if anyone has done this before, and if they have a condensed how-to on doing it (especially on extending the default table builder classes and other files that need changes).

Mike
14 REPLIES 14

Hi,
I've had this question out there for a few days, and have gotten no replies yet.
This question applies to the 10.1 M030 release.
Has anyone added new disposition selections (columns) to the Change Activity (AffectedActivityData link) beyond the standard OOTB three that exist today? If you have, I'd love to hear from you and get some advice on adding new disposition columns. The customizers guide is kind of sketchy on this subject.
[cid:image001.png@01CEA241.14FA8760]

Mike Ibosh

Hey Mike,
Try taking a look at the following file <windchill>\src\wt\change2\change2ModelRB.rbinfo. Make your changes using enumCustomize which will create files in <windchill>\wtCustom\wt\change2. Then run ant -f codebase\MakeJar.xml from the <windchill> directory to rebuild the .jar files.

Patrick Williams | Engineering Systems | c: 616.947.2110
[cid:image002.jpg@01CEA248.99B564F0]

Patrick,
I have been there already and was able to change the existing OOTB selections by that method.
What I am trying to accomplish is adding two NEW disposition columns with new values.

Mike Ibosh

Mike,
Ah yes, sorry. You're adding columns. Have you tried adding a global attribute and then created a new attribute on the Affected Activity Data type in the Type and Attribute Manager software?

[cid:image001.jpg@01CEA249.EE66CD30]

Patrick Williams | Engineering Systems | c: 616.947.2110
[cid:image002.jpg@01CEA249.EE66CD30]

Mike,
I just happened across this in the WC 10.1 M0404 customization guide, excerpt below. Seems a little further involved, but there are instructions.
BTW, I've never attempted them.

Adding New Disposition Types
Inventory disposition types are enumerated columns that are added to the
AffectedActivityData Link. There are inventory dispositions types that
are added OOTB; customizers can add more inventory disposition types as soft
attributes on the AffectedActivityData Link to meet their business needs
by using the Type Manager. Here are the steps to follow
1. Extend AffectedItemsTableBuilder and Override
getDispositionComponentIds API to account for your new inventory
disposition types. Also, if you decide to extend
ChangeTaskAffectedItemsTableViews as opposed to just changing
it, then you will need to override buildConfigurationTable to return
your new table views.
@ComponentBuilder("changeTask.affectedItemsTable")
public class YourNewTableBuilder extends AffectedItemsTableBuilder {
/**
* Returns the list of supported disposition types.
*/@Override
public List <string> getDispositionComponentIds() {
}
/**
* Returns the configurable table.
*/@Override
public ConfigurableTable buildConfigurableTable(String id) throws
WTException {
}}
2. Register your builder.
The builder will be discovered dynamically by the MVC framework. In order
for the framework to find your builder, you will need to register either the base
package location of the builder or the builder class in the xml configuration
file under the mvc package in the src_web variant. Here is an example for
AffectedItemsTableBuilder as registered in
ChangeManagement-configs.xml.
* To register the base builder package. Add this to the xml configuration file:
<mvc:builder-scan base-package="com.ptc.windchill.enterprise.&lt;br"/>change2.mvc.builders"/>
* Or register the builder class. Add this to the xml configuration file:
<bean class="" com.ptc.windchill.enterprise.change2.mvc.builders.tables.<br="/>AffectedItemsTableBuilder "/>
1160 Windchill® Customization Guide

Be well,

Vaughn McDaniel III | Engineering Services Group - PLM/CAD Applications | Kärcher North America - Englewood | x:75245828 m:720.216.3495 o:303.783.5828 | vaughn.mcdaniel@karcherNA.com<">mailto:vaughn.mcdaniel@karcherNA.com> | 1351 W. Stanford Ave. Englewood 80110
[cid:image002.png@01CEA239.C9FF9950]<">http://www.karcher.com/usa/Home.htm>
PLM?<">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_lifecycle_management> Windchill?<">http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/130891/en/flash/index.htm?&im_dbkey=130891&im_language=en> PLM for SMB?<">http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/129410/en/flash/index.htm?&im_dbkey=129410&icg_dbkey=362>

We need to do similar soon.
Hopefully someone will get this to work, write up a one or two page how-to with screen captures and send to the world. 🙂

Patrick,
Yep, been there too. It won't add a new column until you do the customizations in the guide (which is where I'm currently stuck). A guy from PTC has replied to my email and is currently working on the same task (adding new disposition columns) to 10.1 M030. I'll keep in touch with him to see if we can get this working, and then I'll post it with full instructions. I know more people than just me will have to do this in their companies. My company wants 5 or 6 dispositions for each part in the Affected Items table.

Mike Ibosh

Mike,
That is exactly the section I'm trying to work from. A guy from PTC has replied to my email and is currently working on the same task (adding new disposition columns) to 10.1 M030. I'll keep in touch with him to see if we can get this working, and then I'll post it with full instructions. I know more people than just me will have to do this in their companies. My company wants 5 or 6 dispositions for each part in the Affected Items table.
Mike Ibosh

In parallel with getting the mechanics of Windchill to work for the Dispositions, it would be very interesting to see what dispositions people are using.

We currently have the following complex situation(we currently address these on the Change Request via a text field, then parse them out with a custom .jsp report):
[cid:image004.png@01CEA234.9FF86BA0]

I'd very much like to get us using a more "normal" approach to this, using Windchill Disposition tools.
SimonHeath
4-Participant
(To:MikeIbosh)

Dear All,

We did this as a project for a client and it is not as easy as it appears from the guide, dispositions appear in a number of places in the UI and the guide is a little optimistic, the implementer needs to be quite proficient and the guide is missing quite a few details. Here is a link to the component we did, no reason you can’t do it you yourselves (or get it from us) at least you can see from this page the UI that requires touching.

Best Regards,
Simon

I haven't looked at this, but it doesn't appear difficult (reviewing what
others posted earlier) versus other GUI customization. I think what makes
sense is for a someone like me to develop a generic UI that's configurable.
Ergo.configure a property file and resource bundles to add additional. It
doesn't appear like this can be summarized down for less technical folks
though.

This isn't in 10.2 w/o customization? Seems like a point where R&D goes "we
need to make a schedule", drop functionality, but quickly document how to
manually add more columns etc., etc..

Simon,
Yep, that is exactly what we need to do.
Can you offer us any pointers (help) on what/how you guys added the new disposition columns?

Mike Ibosh

All,
Attached is a ZIP file with a working customization for adding 2 disposition columns to the change task and change notice affected items tables.
Contained in the zip file is a word document with the installation directions.
If anyone has any improvements on this, please let me know so I can incorporate it into the code.

Many thanks goes to Stéphane Mainente from PTC tech support, for providing direction and much of the code.

Mike Ibosh

‌nice tech support article on this topic now exists

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS143582

Top Tags