cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

9.1 Scrolling Tables

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

9.1 Scrolling Tables

We would be very interested if you find a solution. Nearly 100 of our users have asked us to "put it back like it was in 9.0."

One of the problems is that the vertical height of the tables is very small in comparison to the pages many places, forcing users to go to the table to scroll within it rather than just scrolling the entire page. It's only a second or two more, but it's times thousands and adds up.
7 REPLIES 7

Inside components.tld (line 1106 in 9.1 M040) there is an attribute that is optional called 'scroll' and it is placed in the renderTable tag in the jsp file. Possible values are true or false. Set it false.

I have used it before to stop tables in create part and doc wizard from creating scrollbars when they have numerous attributes. May be buggy. I think this is what you want though.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

i edited the file below, added the scroll="false" in the renderTable tag. I've got Tomcat in development mode so it shouldbevisibleonce the page is reloaded, but I'm not seeing the change. Should I need toreboot and clear the Tomcat cache?

codebase\netmarkets\jsp\changeTask\affectedItemsTable.jsp

sd

In Reply to Dave DeMay:

Inside components.tld (line 1106 in 9.1 M040) there is an attribute that is optional called 'scroll' and it is placed in the renderTable tag in the jsp file. Possible values are true or false. Set it false.

I have used it before to stop tables in create part and doc wizard from creating scrollbars when they have numerous attributes. May be buggy. I think this is what you want though.

I couldn't get that to work either. I found two places that I modified to remove the vertical scroll bars - entirely unsupported of course.

First is in ../netmarkets/javascript/main.js - look for the

installScrollTable function

around line 7098 and add a return; as the first line of the function, thus bypassing all it's logic. This works for the edit/create table scroll bars.

Second is in ..templates/htmlcomp/jstable/jstable.js - look for

html.push('

Thanks for the replies. I've got a couple of replies, and also an answer from PTC's Tech Support.

Regarding the issue please note that removing the scroll bar is not a good idea because this has some performance impact. Still if you want to do that then you can use scroll=false in renderTable tag attribute. There are other attributes like useJSCA=false but again setting this will remove some Windchill 9.1 specific features as this will disable HSCA to use JCA.

Putting in the useJSCA="false" on a per table basis will disable the scrolling on that table, but it also disables other "new 9.1" functionality, such as column resizing and multi-column sorting...

So what we were trying to solve was the ability to export the contents of these scrolling tables. So Tech Support suggested that I add the Export action to the table's toolbar. To do this follow these steps below:

First find the table that you want to edit, go to codebase\config\actions

The files you want to look at are *-actionModels.xml. So my example I went to ChangeManagement-actionModels.xml

Searched for change task, found a couple occurences, the one I wanted was <model name="changeTask.affectedItems.table.view">

Copy the entire <model> to </model> tag

Paste that into the custom-actionModels.xml file. This is where you edit what you want on the toolbars.

I found in another actionModel table the actions for the export actions and pasted them into that model, so my modified model looked like

<model name="changeTask.affectedItems.table.view">

<description>Toolbar actions for the affected objects table for the change task info page</description>

<action name="list_copy" type="object"/">

<action name="separator" type="separator"/">

<action name="edit" type="changeTask"/">

<action name="exportTableCSV" type="object"/">

<action name="exportTableHTML" type="object"/">

<action name="exportTableTEXT" type="object"/">

</model>

The two excel and xml export options didn't work here, they complained about session data expired, so I omitted them.

From a windchill shell type the following command

>windchill com.ptc.netmarkets.util.misc.StandardNmActionService

this will reload the action models and you can reload the web page and the new actions will appear, no restart of Windchill required.

Hi Stephen,

Yes not having scroll bars has some performance impact but still there are
times where you need the scroll bars to behave like regular HTML
scrollbars.. JSCA scrollbars do not behave like regular HTML scrollbars.

If you want tables to have regular scrollbars or avoid scrollbars with some
creativity here is the solutions
> scrolling on that table, but it also disables other "new 9.1" functionality,
> such as column resizing and multi-column sorting...
>
> So what we were trying to solve was the ability to export the contents of
> these scrolling tables. So Tech Support suggested that I add the Export
> action to the tabl...

AL_ANDERSON
5-Regular Member
(To:MikeLockwood)

The vertical hight of most of the embedded tables with their own vertical
scroll bar is a terrible problem for usability.

A better solution would be to have a user preference for how many rows to
make the window show.

But I agree, that in many, many interfaces, the small size of the embedded
window is very difficult to use. It also makes any kind of printing from
that page a problem, too.

Al Anderson

"Lockwood,Mike,IRVINE,R&D" <mike.lockwood@alconlabs.com>
04/27/2010 07:50 AM
Please respond to
"Lockwood,Mike,IRVINE,R&D" <mike.lockwood@alconlabs.com>

To
"Stephen Drzewiczewski" <->
cc
"-" <->
Subject
[solutions] - RE: 9.1 Scrolling Tables

Well another thing to consider is that these scrollbars do NOT always scroll using the mouse wheel and you have to manually click on scrollbar to move it.

This is fixable.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
Announcements

Top Tags