cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Adding WTDocument to a WTPart

kirkwemple
8-Gravel

Adding WTDocument to a WTPart

We would like to enable the ability for users to add a WTDocument to a WTPart within the part create dialog box by adding the Java drag and drop box into the UI.  We are looking for a OOTB preference or other businesses who may have implemented this functionality.  Any suggestions?

--Kirk Wemple

Newell Rubbermaid

8 REPLIES 8
kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:kirkwemple)

You're in luck... there is an OOTB Preference that will enable Attachments to Parts.  Set this highlighted to Yes and you should be good to go.  Have not yet implemented (as you can see) because we're considering the use cases...  Most of which boil down to requiring Rev Control and Change Management so a related WTPart is used, or data that would not be consistently applied.

Thought about this for Part Instances and things like Inspection Reports, Material Certs etc. but when you think about it these should be reviewed and validated before entering the system so the logical choice becomes a stand-alone WTDocument, as even though Revision is highly unlikely the need for process driven and documented validation is evident.  AttachmentsOnParts.jpg

Thanks for reply.

I assume that is a 10.2 preference, correct?

If set to yes, what is the mechanism for attaching the content? Java drag and drop?   Can you specify that the content be created as a specific document type?

kpritchard
4-Participant

• 10.2 is shown... I'm not sure when they brought it in but I think it was 10.2
  • The behavior is exactly like all other Attachments functionality, Java Drag and Drop or Browse.
  • If you need a Document Type (by this I'm assuming you mean WTDocument sub-type), then no you cannot.  Attachments do not have a Type as they are secondary content.  If you need a specific type, then you need to create and relate as a sub-type of WTDocument

Seems to be a very useful thing - being able to add non-CAD attachment files (not WTDocs) to a WTPart directly.

Once we finally get on 10.2 I suspect we will greatly restructure where many non-CAD files are stored, taking full advantage of being able to "bundle them" with WTParts.  We have an extensive document called "Product Structure specification" which has diagrams of all types of data situations (e.g. parts with artwork, packaging and labeling, various ECAD, etc).  Note: This is in Visio, using custom icons that represent all Windchill objects - very useful.

In any case, we plan to take advantage of the fact that you can assign the Modify Content permission but not Modify at certain states for situations like adding inspection reports, etc. to WTParts without being able to check out / change the Part directly.  Have to confirm that it works same as for Change Objects in this regard, but hope so.  We'll likely have an intermediate state at which Attachments can be changed prior to Released, at which no changes can be made.

Yes, this was added in 10.2 M020. This was also the release where we added native drag-and-drop abilities - so you can drag and drop files directly over the Attachments table to add them (no need to enable the Java target). I don't believe this was supported in Internet Explorer, however. That's since been fixed. 

So what kind of documents are you thinking of attaching?   Most of the documents I have thought of, should be stand alone  WTDocs...

We would like the capability to add a WTDocument type(add existing or create new) during WTPart creation.  We would be able to choose the type.   Depending on the type, it would either be added to the Described By Documents or References Documents table of the part.  An example would be creating a corrugate packaging part and adding the die line as a described by document all in one step within the New Part dialog box.  

Also being able to add secondary content as an attachment would be helpful. 

kpritchard
4-Participant

That sounds like customizing the WTPart creation Wizard... In theory, this is all possible with Supported Customizations, Actions, Action Models, Wizard Steps etc.  I'd say not Configrable in the sense of being able to combine/enable OOTB capabilities (wouldn't that be cool?!)

Top Tags