cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Another SQL Server Upgrade Question

BrianToussaint
19-Tanzanite

Another SQL Server Upgrade Question

Has anyone done an upgrade from SQL Server 2008 to SQL Server 2012 for Windchill?  I know that when I'm done, I'll have to run the collation conversion but my question is do you have to install 2012 separately and import the database or can you run the "SQL Upgrade" to upgrade the database instead?  The book is saying the first, but I'm wondering if the second works.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BrianToussaint)

Fundamentally you need to have your database loaded into SQL 2012 before you can run the conversion utility.  You probably can't simply upgrade the existing SQL install because I don't think it will give you the option to change the collation of the instance itself (including tempdb).  There's certainly nothing stopping you from detaching the database, uninstalling 2008, reinstalling 2012, and then reattaching the database again.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BrianToussaint)

Fundamentally you need to have your database loaded into SQL 2012 before you can run the conversion utility.  You probably can't simply upgrade the existing SQL install because I don't think it will give you the option to change the collation of the instance itself (including tempdb).  There's certainly nothing stopping you from detaching the database, uninstalling 2008, reinstalling 2012, and then reattaching the database again.

BrianToussaint
19-Tanzanite
(To:TomU)

Thanks Tom.  I was just trying to see if there was an easy way out.  I've got instructions for installing two different versions on the same server.  Just trying to make up for time lost due to server issues.

Top Tags