cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Any idea on how long it takes to run Oracle to SQL server data migration ? Oracle DB is 100GB

vmhala
6-Contributor

Any idea on how long it takes to run Oracle to SQL server data migration ? Oracle DB is 100GB

We have a oracle 11g R2 DB around 100 GB with Windchill PDMLink10.2 M030. Need an estimate of the data migration time needed for TEST and PROD environment conversion ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GaryMansell
6-Contributor
(To:vmhala)

I suspect that this could be like asking how long is a piece of string because all windchill systems have different data sets in them with differing relationships in the DB and also different Oracle and SQL servers will have differing performance, but for what it is worth, our 60GB Oracle database migrated to our MS SQL Server in about 4 hours.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GaryMansell
6-Contributor

I suspect that this could be like asking how long is a piece of string because all windchill systems have different data sets in them with differing relationships in the DB and also different Oracle and SQL servers will have differing performance, but for what it is worth, our 60GB Oracle database migrated to our MS SQL Server in about 4 hours.

vmhala
6-Contributor
(To:GaryMansell)

Thanks Gary,

As you suggested this is dependent on type of data & servers; yet this is really helpful as I needed an high level overview of the duration.  Is it an iterative operation ?

Any tips / pit falls you would like to suggest should we go ahead with oracle to SQL migration ? We do not have much customization and DB health is good.

Again, Thanks for your help!

GaryMansell
6-Contributor

I found it to be a pretty simple process following PTC's documentation - but you must run install and run the pre-migration utility on your Oracle DB server beforehand as this will identify any issues with your source DB before the migration is run.

A couple of things that occur to me:

Top Tags