cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Attaching new documents that are not in PDMLink during Promotion

astokes
1-Newbie

Attaching new documents that are not in PDMLink during Promotion

Scenario: I have a document that is released and the PDF is located in the tab Related Objects, Describe by Document. I attached the Word document as a secondary object. Now I want to change the document and make it a new revision. I open up the Word document and save it to my desktop. I make the changes, save it and create a new PDF. Now I need to promote the old revision to a new revision. I select the New Promotion Request icon and start going thru the steps of promotion.

How do I place the two files that are on my desktop in the new promotion?

What I am trying to do is start from the beginning. Say an Engineer wants to revise a procedure and what are the exact steps that are required all the way to CCB approval.

1 REPLY 1
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:astokes)

Terminology is everything on this - and will get you tangled in knots unless used precisely. Good two-dimensional diagrams also help a whole (not the one-dimensional diagrams used by PTC).

At a given Revision (e.g. Rev A), you have any number of Iterations, resulting from Check Out / Check In. All are at the initial state to start with (e.g. In Work).
A.1 In Work
A.2 In Work
A.3 In Work
A.4 In Work

Following an approved Promotion Request to Released, you have
A.1 In Work
A.2 In Work
A.3 In Work
A.4 Released + Approved Promotion Request (requires the lifecycle of the document to have a Promote Transition from In Work to Released)

Now, Rev A is finished - will never change. Can do business on it.

Continued changes and development require creating a Rev B and developing it, using New Revision (Revise in 10.x)

Following New Revision, you have
A.1 In Work
A.2 In Work
A.3 In Work
A.4 Released + Approved Promotion Request
B.1 In Work (which is an exact copy of A.4) (requires the lifecycle of the document to have a Revise Transition from Released to In Work)

Following Check Out / Check in of Rev B a few times, you have
A.1 In Work
A.2 In Work
A.3 In Work
A.4 Released + Approved Promotion Request
B.1 In Work (which is an exact copy of A.4)
B.2 In Work
B.3 In Work

For a simple configuration, these are enough. Change Requests / Change Notices / Change Tasks can be used for more sophistication.
Top Tags