cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Attachment operation could not be performed

fgarciarubio
3-Visitor

Attachment operation could not be performed

Has anyone seen this error in Windchill (10.1), when trying to upload a document (epmdoc). Specifically when attaching a .pdf to a .drw.

Users need to add a material spec sheet to the drawing, but the error actually happens with any type of file extension (word, powerpoint, txt, pdf, etc...)

"FAILURE - Attachment operation could not be performed"

I have checked for just about everything:

• cleared IE Browser history, cookies, etc.
  • Unistalled all verisons of Java, and reinstalled 1.7.75 (32 bit)
  • Set preference to use "Standard Browser Funcionality"
  • cleared user java cache folder
  • added Windchill server url to Java security execption list

Any ideas out there? I would appreciate it. There a lot of users who are in this predicament.

Thanks

Frank

8 REPLIES 8
Linlin
6-Contributor
(To:fgarciarubio)

Try to set up your preference to see if it works.

2015-02-11+14_12_06-Preference+Management.jpg

Thanks Linlin,

you may be on to something here...

Are these Server preferences? because my company has a Iron tight control on Server side everything. I dont see those in my preferences.

Frank

Linlin
6-Contributor
(To:fgarciarubio)

You should have administrator permission to change this preference. I changed under the organization-->Utilities---> Preference Management-->Part Mangement.

If you are the only one can't attach, other users can, the issue is not caused by this setting. If all users can not attach, it may work after you change this setting.

Hope it helps. Thanks!

@ my company, IT controls all the access. They dont have the "traditional" Site/Org Admin accounts. So no, I dont have access to those preferences.

Now, this particular preference referes only to parts. My issue has nothing to do with (wt)parts.

What's weird is that IT "fixed" the problem that was affecting every user who tried to upload a file last week. Now this week... only one user is having this problem. I believe is Java related.

We have seen issues with a 'wrong' version of JAVA installed when doing attachments. Remove JAVA and reinstall with the latest PTC and or company approved version of 1.7. Do not use 1.8. I am limited to using 1.7.06 since that is the latest my company allows.

Hi, this "error" is not really an error. It is just a bad warning message. Windchill is trying to tell you need to Check Out the object before adding attachments to it. This occurs when the Check Out and Edit capability is turned off in Site preferences. The preference controls the existence of the Check Out and Edit action in the user interface, but also prevents auto-check out of objects for subsequent actions such as adding attachments.

Try checking out the object first, add attachments and then check back in. Should work.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:sm)

The preference is Create and Edit, Check Out and Edit Action. OOTB it is set to Yes. When it is set to No, objects will NOT be checked out on the fly when adding attachments. R&D is aware of the bad error message and is in progress of correcting it by updating the message, the preference description and the Help Center.

checkoutandedit.jpg

fgarciarubio
3-Visitor
(To:sm)

As I mentioned above, I don't have access to Site/Org preferences, so I can't confirm that your suggestion works/does not work.

However, I can tell you that only 1 user that reports this issue, after IT "fixing" something on the server to the effect that removed restrictions to a tmp folder.

If it was a preference issue, ALL users would be screaming for help.

Top Tags