cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Auto-number drawing based on model

joe_morton
17-Peridot

Auto-number drawing based on model

We have automated numbering for our models. For our drawings, we use this convention: drawing number = model number + "-DRW".

The downside of this is that the engineer has to manually number the drawing. Sometimes they number it incorrectly, and sometimes, duplicate drawings are created. I have the fun job of finding those issues and cleaning them up.

Is there a way to get drawings to auto-number based on the model?

One additional caveat: sometimes our engineers like to include multiple models in a drawing. 

I was thinking of trying to create a workflow that ran on check-in to handle this, and assign a task to the user if the primary model number couldn't be determined. I'm hesitant because then I'd have to have that workflow run on every CAD file checked into the system. 

Any other ideas of how to accomplish it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Joe,

There is.

A post checkin from Workspace listener can be written which would check if the numbering convention is being adhered to. If it isn’t, renumber the drawing such that it adheres to the standard. Or throw an exception to the user pointing out the error of their ways. Dealers choice. You’re the dealer BTW. 

If you go the auto renumber route and the target number is already in the dB again throw an exception.

That’s how I’d handle it.  It’s automatic, bombproof and frees you up to do stuff that can’t be automated.

If multi-model drawing you’d just have to decide how you want to handle those.

David

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Joe,

There is.

A post checkin from Workspace listener can be written which would check if the numbering convention is being adhered to. If it isn’t, renumber the drawing such that it adheres to the standard. Or throw an exception to the user pointing out the error of their ways. Dealers choice. You’re the dealer BTW. 

If you go the auto renumber route and the target number is already in the dB again throw an exception.

That’s how I’d handle it.  It’s automatic, bombproof and frees you up to do stuff that can’t be automated.

If multi-model drawing you’d just have to decide how you want to handle those.

David

Spoke with a more senior admin on our team, and he said the same thing. Thanks!

Top Tags