cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Baseline - Can't do it from a drawing??????

davehaigh
11-Garnet

Baseline - Can't do it from a drawing??????

So for the first time I had a user that wanted to create a baseline, and it appears there is no way to create a baseline using a drawing.

What's up with that?

Is there a way to create a baseline of a drawing, and I'm just blind?

It seems I have to start with an assembly.

What do you do if you have a multi-model drawing you want to baseline?

This seems totally backward to me.

David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

2 REPLIES 2

So I've been told that baselines are meant only for WTPart structures. Evidently since ProE assemblies have a "structure" you can create a baseline for them, but drawings and parts don't have a structure, meaning you can't create a baseline for those objects. I'm not happy about this. We could baseline ProE files in Intralink 3.x.

Here's the deal. A number of our CAD designers really don't care about the WTParts. The user in question is working on a conceptual design and wanted to baseline what he has before creating some drastic changes to the design. Nothing is released at this point, he just wants an easy way to get back to the design as it exist currently in case that's required.

This user works directly with the scientist and typically there is a lot of churn in the design before we get to anything that is even close to getting submitted for detailed design. Sometimes they will proceed down a path and decide to back track and go a different direction from a previous design concept. The user would like to start the baseline from the layout drawing, not from the assembly.

We did figure out how to attach the drawing to the baseline after starting it from the assembly, it's just that that seems backwards to us. The drawing has no parent relationships, just children, so it seems the most logical place to start this process.

David Haigh

David,

Not sure where you are getting your information but it is incorrect.

A Baseline can store any set of data, related or otherwise. They can
include CAD Docs (parts, drawings, etc.), Docs, Parts, Change Objects,
Requirements, etc. You can add to them using add, paste or collect.

Attached is a sample flow starting from a drawing in 9.1 (process is the
same for 10.0)

Top Tags