cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Best practice for working on CAD Doc files in two separate Windchill systems?

mdebower
18-Opal

Best practice for working on CAD Doc files in two separate Windchill systems?

Hey, does anybody have any best practices concerning sharing files between two separate Windchill systems?

Our customer uses Windchill, and we use Windchill, and we want to share some CAD Document files from the customer to us. Modify and add CAD Docs to the assembly and send back.

Customer does not want to give us access to their system and wants their files to "go right back in".

Right now I am thinking that we have to leave the whole project outside of Windchill completely, and export / back up out of our Windchill system, and then import our CAD docs back into our Windchill system at the end of the project

Any suggestions?

-marc debower

CAD / PLM Systems Manager

TriMark Corporation

2 REPLIES 2
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:mdebower)

A ProjectLink Project in the customer's system may be an option - you would have access to just that Project. Download, enter into your Windchill system (via a workspace, resolving conflicts), Edit, save, Upload and check in result to Project.

"Packages" are useful to at least track exactly what info is being exchanged. Can be used with or without a Project. Can be generated from both the Customer's and your Windchill systems.

[cid:image001.png@01CC7C22.08327AC0]

"PLM Connector" is much more sophisticated but also addresses this need.
[cid:image002.png@01CC7C22.D2A20EB0]

I see I forgot to mention that we are on Windchill 9.1 right now. I am not sure what the customer is on.

Several people have mentioned a project in ProjectLINK inthe customer's Windchill, and that would be my first choice, but they are unwilling to do that.

Packages sound promising, and will be looking into that more.

Other possible solutions so far that have been mentioned are portable workspaces, and PLMConnector.

-marc

Top Tags