cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Browser setting for multiple logins

krichardson
1-Newbie

Browser setting for multiple logins

At one point in time I was able to log into Windchill as an admin and also login as a user. Due to some update, I am no longer able to do so. Can anyone point me to the browser setting that will allow this behavior? As I am building a WC 9.1 upgrade environment, it would be so helpful to have both logins.

Thanks, Kathy

Windchill 8.0 M050 Production, MS XP Pro x64 Bit, V2003, SP2

Windchill 9.1 M060 design / test

IE 8.0

8 REPLIES 8

On 04/13/11 13:43, Kathy Richardson wrote:
> At one point in time I was able to log into Windchill as an admin and also login
> as a user. Due to some update, I am no longer able to do so. Can anyone point me
> to the browser setting that will allow this behavior? As I am building a WC 9.1
> upgrade environment, it would be so helpful to have both logins.

I use firefox and multiple profiles to do this.

You also will want to take a look at the following post:

I use Firefox for Admin and IE for a user login....

Kathy,
The problem is at one time you likely saved your password. (Not a very secure thing to do. Especially if you use Google Chrome. It stores the password in clear text, so anyone hacking into your computer can see it.)

Anyway, that's why you can't log in using IE as two different users in different IE windows. I'm using IE and have no problem logging in as multiple users.

The only issue is, you can't open up two sub window at the same time. For example if I'm logged in as an org admin and site admin, I can't open up the principle admin window for both Org and Site. They both try to use the one that's already up.

To erase your saved passwords in IE do this:
Internet Explorer 7
From the Tools menu Delete Browsing history then pick Delete passwords

David Haigh

David,

It looks like maybe it was the switch from IE 7.0 to 8.0 that created the change. Even if you don't save your password and delete all the history, a second IE 8.0 browser will still not require a login. The lack of a log out in Windchill has always been a fail in my opinion.

I've been playing with this in both my WC 8.0 production on my workstation and the WC 9.1 test on a separate laptop.

The scenario of opening a second browser using In Private does work and may be my best solution. I did take a copy of the discussion Randy Jones suggested and put it in our ‘would be nice folder’ in our Windchill 9.1 implementation stuff. Maybe I will learn to become a backhand Java person. J

Thank you all – you guys rock!

Kathy

Kathy, I use multiple logins all the time using IE8.

after logging in as the first user, select "New Session" from the
"File" menu. This will open a new session of ie8 and will allow you to
login as the second user.

John

I think Firefox allows you to have two different sessions with two different
users loged in (Site admin and a normal user)

Mayur

Or you can just add -noframemerging in the target line for a separate shortcut to IE on your desktop.

This is from a 64-bit XP and works fine for me: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -noframemerging

Every window spawned from that shortcut will give you a separate session.

//Richard

Richard,

You are the man!! Adding this argument to the IE desktop shortcut works great !

I use this method of opening multiple browsers (as different users) for testing workflows all the time, and this was a real problem. Thanks for sharing this solution.

Mike

Top Tags