cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

CAE Simulation model management in PDMLink

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

CAE Simulation model management in PDMLink

Putting aside the issue of extremely large files, has anyone implemented a strategy behind managing simulation data in PDMLink? I can see a couple of potential obstacles to this. Let me know if you faced this can solved it:

* How to store? - I was thinking a soft type of WTDocument since that offers attributes and can bundle all the files into a neat traceable package.

* How to associate to design? - Since it was a document, it could be linked to WTPart easily. However, the issue arises in terms of Released status and configuration control. I would want that document to be linked directly to the version/iteration that the analysis was performed on. I would settle for version. Issues arises if WTPart is released already, this complicates storage of analysis data.

* What needs to be stored? - To avoid most of the large data, we need to store the model (seen it called the deck) and the results (pretty output). I know that PDMLink can manage the Creo Simulation file but to keep consistent with other CAE applications, it makes sense to bundle it all together.

* What if too large? - Docs have options for URLs or external storage for these cases.

Did I miss anything?

Antonio Villanueva - Gen Engrg Mgr, CM - ISR Systems
UTC AEROSPACE SYSTEMS
100 Wooster Heights Road, Danbury, CT 06804
Tel: +1 203 797 5682
antonio.villanueva@utas.utc.com<">mailto:antonio.villanueva@utas.utc.com> www.utcaerospacesystems.com
CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING: This message may contain proprietary and/or privileged information of UTC Aerospace Systems and its affiliated companies. If you are not the intended recipient please 1) do not disclose, copy, distribute or use this message or its contents, 2) advise the sender by return e-mail, and 3) delete all copies (including all attachments) from your computer. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

We have also been considering CAE files in Windchill for some time.

However, as youhave already pointed outthere are issues around file size and the fact that there is no PDMLink integration for most CAE packages.

We have not implemented anything yet regarding native CAE filesbut have considered the following:

If the CAE files are stored withina Document rather then Reference Document it is possible to associate them to a particular iteration of the WTPart.

Top Tags