cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Can't open new items in workspace

BriGuy
11-Garnet

Can't open new items in workspace

I have new items in multiple workspaces that were created prior to today.  This morning I tried to open one of the files and it couldn't be retrieved.  Can't export, upload or anything.  The Event Manager messages were no help (go figure).  The file was never uploaded or checked in prior.  I can open existing files that reside on our Windchill server.  This happens no matter what workspace I go into so it's not localized to one workspace.

If I create a new object, I can upload that with no problem.  It's just anything prior to today.   I tried going offline from the server and got a weird message: "Preparation to go offline failed. Do you want to go offline anyway?"  Going back online was fine.

I thought maybe the workspace was corrupted, but all at the same time??  That doesn't make sense.  Anyone got any ideas to help??  Would resetting the WC server help??  I can't think it would since these objects were never uploaded.

6 REPLIES 6
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:BriGuy)

Have you had any updates to your local OS recently?

The server still knows about new files in your workspaces. As an admin, I can see all files created that have been saved and/or uploaded. We upload all files by default, it is a Windchill setting. Since the local cache is on your C:/drive and not backed up, by uploading the files they get put into the uploadcachevault which is backed up by IT as it is on the server.

Ben,

I'm not sure if I had any updates.  If I had, I'd venture to guess that everyone else has as well.  When I log into a browser as admin, I can see the names of my workspaces but I can't access them there.  The name doesn't display as a hyperlink.  The only option I have is to delete.   I wonder if I don't have some rights or something.  So, without accessing it here, resetting the server doesn't seem like it would make a difference since it was never uploaded??

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Right, Windchill will still know about the files in workspaces even after a reboot since it is an entry in the DB tables. Don't know what a workstation reboot would do, but the physical saved file should be OK.

There is a corrupt workspace tool in the community that can be downloaded, but I have never used it. (Or had reason too, knock on wood!)

Thanks for the info Ben.  They are rebooting the server tonight just to see if that would make a difference.  If not, then I'll have to recreate what I lost.  Not too much thankfully.  I've now set things up so when I save, it'll be save and upload. I wouldn't be able to download any corrupt workspace tool per company limitations.  I've never had a corrupt workspace before either.  And to have this happening to all of my workspaces leads me to believe they're not corrupted.  At least not it the way I've heard people complain about.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Did the server reboot fix your issue?

I reboot my servers every morning at 5:00AM before anyone starts working.

Nope. I'm going to contact TriStar, who provides our maintenance contract.  If they can't help, I'll have to just redo what I've lost.

Top Tags