cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Can we do 'Save As' on a Non-CAD document(.pdf, .doc) in windchill?

nmanjunathappa
1-Newbie

Can we do 'Save As' on a Non-CAD document(.pdf, .doc) in windchill?

We can surely do Save As of Part and CAD document. When I try doing a Save As on pdf document, I get ' Error: Invalid object type for Save As'. Could anyone please tell me if there is a preference to allow Save As on Non-CAD documents.

6 REPLIES 6

You can use "cut" and "paste" to do the Save As for WTDocument

Thanks Vittorio,

I can 'Cut' and 'Paste', but this will not carry associations/link.

And please vote for the idea Save as for WTPart and WTDocuments perhaps this idea will be realised once in the next few years... I have no idea why this feature (it's not even a feature...) still isn't being implemented....

Thanks Bjorn,

Yes this feature will help avoid associations error and makes document template management easier.

At the moment, Save-As and similar functionalities which appear in the workspace use CADx HTML Template Processing technology and not JCA...

CADx template processing as its name implies is very much CAD specific with many hardcoded specificities (That is why anything related to workspace UI is unsupported). So reusing it for WTDocuments is not really an option for the time being.

I'm pretty sure though that with supported APIs you could replicate the Save-As functionality for WTDocuments including "preserving" associations.

Manar El Ouataoui‌ Thanks for your feedback. I know that we can do a customizing to implement such a feature. But as partner we do have a problem explaining the SMB customer, that they need to buy a feature to do a save as for a WTPart and a WTDocument. They're looking for a standard PDM System and not already customized one.

Top Tags