cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Can you host a Creo Parametric 4.0 installation on a virtual server and have it connect to a Windchill installation hosted on a separate virtual server?

kkillian
1-Newbie

Can you host a Creo Parametric 4.0 installation on a virtual server and have it connect to a Windchill installation hosted on a separate virtual server?

Hi all, I have a bit of a quandary.

For a brief moment, I was able to host an installation of Creo Parametric on a virtual server, open Creo on my workstation, and connect it to another separate server that was hosting Windchill. Now when I launch Creo Parametric and click on the server manager, Creo throws an error: "The server is not supported." Does anyone have any experience with an issue like this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:kkillian)

At this point I would probably try two things.

1. Open a case with tech support and see if they have any ideas.
  2. Install Wireshark or Fiddler and see it you can identify the call that is failing.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
TomU
23-Emerald IV

Assuming the versions of Creo and Windchill are compatible, I would suggest removing your local cache and then using the environment variable PTC_WF_ROOT to control where this cache is being created. 

kkillian
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

I am running the latest versions of both Windchill and Creo Parametric.

Okay, so this cleared all of the servers in the server manager.

After running a script setting this variable to a temp folder on my C:\ drive, I attempted to register my Windchill server with the server manager. This resulted in an invalid server location error. I know the server exists, and I have had an admin open all of the ports (so this shouldn't be a port problem), so do you know what the stumbling block is?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Can you access the server from a standalone browser?  The url is exactly the same for Creo (up through the Windchill part).  Keep in mind that it's case sensitive (capital 'W'.)

http://<server name>/Windchill

kkillian
1-Newbie

I am actually logged in right now. That is the thing that baffles me about the server problem. I am literally copying the URL up to and including the "Windchill."

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Have you tried restarting the Creo VM?  Sometimes a Creo process will hang and not work correctly until you either kill it or reboot.  (Not talking about xtop.exe)

SergeyEfimov
13-Aquamarine

Can you ping the Windchill server from your Creo workstation?

I pinged the Windchill server URL and got nothing back. However, when I pinged the server that was hosting Windchill, I got a response. Does that mean I might have some DNS issues?

SergeyEfimov
13-Aquamarine

It may be a problem with network connection settings of your virtual machines.

18.png

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:SergeyEfimov)

If he can access Windchill from a stand alone web browser on the same virtual machine Creo is installed on, then the network settings should be okay.

kkillian
1-Newbie

After remoting into the server and connecting via web browser, I have found that there is no issue connecting to Windchill from the vm server that Creo is installed on.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

At this point I would probably try two things.

1. Open a case with tech support and see if they have any ideas.
  2. Install Wireshark or Fiddler and see it you can identify the call that is failing.
kkillian
1-Newbie

Yeah, I think I will escalate this.

Thanks for giving me some help, all!

Top Tags