cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Cancelling Change Notices

vmcdaniel
2-Guest

Cancelling Change Notices

How do you handle this situation?

We are a couple of weeks into using Change Management in Windchill. And I am beginning to get requests from our CA-II's to cancel change notices. I've had requests to cancel a change notice during the Implementation plan, before Submitting, and before creating.

The OOTB workflow does have a Reject from the CIB, but not from anywhere else.
This makes me wonder if there is actually a business case, or if these are due to errors in the planning process.
Is this some kind of growing pain we are experiencing?

I'd love to hear your experiences on this.

Thanks,

-V

5 REPLIES 5

We have seen legitimate business cases where a running Change Notice needed to be cancelled. The reasons varied from change not needed anymore to some other change takes care of this. We achieved this via a customization. Product Manager re-assigns Canceled life cycle to Change Notice. A listener then cancels all non-completed Change Tasks (to remove assignments from users queue) within that Change Notice. Deleting Change Notice (and its tasks) was not an option for us.

In our case, Product Managers were chosen as this is a smaller set from Change Admins and have re-assign life cycle access already.

It's pretty straight forward to add Cancel as a Routing option from one of the CN activities. If you're using the OOTB, I'd suggest putting one into the Audit Change Notice activity. You'll have to add some other pieces after that to set the CN to 'Cancelled' and set the CAD files to a chosen non-released state.

For ours, we unlock the changeables (they were locked for review), change the state of the CN to canceled, and send out an email notification that this took place.

In either case it requires all Change Tasks to be "completed" even if the work isn't done. This allows the CN workflow to proceed to the point where it can be cancelled, so that is going a little beyond where you're seeing the requests for cancellation.

The other alternative is to do all the cancellation bits manually.

In Reply to Vaughn McDaniel:

How do you handle this situation?

We are a couple of weeks into using Change Management in Windchill. And I am beginning to get requests from our CA-II's to cancel change notices. I've had requests to cancel a change notice during the Implementation plan, before Submitting, and before creating.

The OOTB workflow does have a Reject from the CIB, but not from anywhere else.
This makes me wonder if there is actually a business case, or if these are due to errors in the planning process.
Is this some kind of growing pain we are experiencing?

I'd love to hear your experiences on this.

Thanks,

-V

We've now done nearly 21,000 electronic changes in Windchill - covering both R&D level (Numbered Revisions - essentially just a Promotion Request but editable), release to Production (initial Rev A Released), Production changes (Rev B >> C), and Obsolete.

We use the system very differently than supplied OTB in many areas - continual tweaking going on.

To date, we require that Request be complete, and use the CN / CT minimally (hoping to change this quite a bit going forward). But, what this currently means is that:

- A Request that never gets fully approved just sits there. Eventually we use Set State to Canceled on them.

- A Request that has been fully approved gets implemented exactly as approved, even if all agree that this is no longer what is needed; we force an additional change to occur immediately after. Major hassle here but people learn pretty quick to avoid this situation.

From a system integrator's stand point:

For ECN's We noticed and fulfilled requirements for "Cancel", "On-Hold" and
"Resume from a valid earlier state".

All the use cases can be handled by adding a new action to the actions drop
down. Instead of designing the entire ecn approval process from the initial
ECN state, it would be beneficial in many ways if the each state has its own
workflow process.

Thank you and have a great time.

Best Regards

Swamy Senthil

Principal Solutions Architect, Swasen Inc

swamy.senthil@swasen.com(Email); 909 800 8423(M); 973 324 2729(W); 866
908 6561(F);

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:vmcdaniel)

We have a cancel path as part of the workflow. At certain points, options is presented to approve or cancel Change Notice. If before that point, admin takes over roles and can "run" the change notice through the process to cancel it.
Announcements

Top Tags