cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Cannot override system as Sys or Org Admin for different verisons

BuddyHudson
1-Newbie

Cannot override system as Sys or Org Admin for different verisons

Ok, I need some serious help on this issue. I would appreciate if some PTC could chime in like they do for everybody else as well, because this is majorly freakin frustrating:

The issue: Say I have an assembly that has 4 parts. This assembly is also used in a drawing. Now, everything is checked into the system at say version 000.1. So an engineer comes to me and says, hold up, I need to delete parts 3 and 4 totally from the system. This should be fairly simple right, but of course not. I have repeatidly tried to delete these to parts from the system and it tells me they are still used by the assembly. No they are not because I had the engineer remove them form the assembly and check that new version into the system. But wait, Windchill 10 will still not allow me to delete, even if it has been removed from the current assembly. It is looking at the entire history of the assembly and basically saying, well since it was ever used in this assembly, I cannot delete. How freakin stupid is that!

This system is becoming more and more combersome from an admin standpoint. One of the biggest issues is not being able to roll back revisions and not being able to remove things form the system due to Windchill looking at the ENTIRE history.

If anyone has some comments, suggestions, or anything to help with this issue please reply as soon as you can.

Thanks in advance,

Buddy Hudson

5 REPLIES 5

Hi have you checked if there any other objects/docs associated with those parts?If there are any then the part won't be deleted.

Also , you may try deleting the personal cabinets of the parts.That might help.

Hi Buddy,

I'm sorry for your frustration. I expect that I will not give you the answer you want to hear.

Windchill will not allow the deletion of a part used in any assembly version in the data base because this would make the assembly version incomplete and possibly not retrievable
. If for example you were allowed to delete the part you want to delete, you would not have a complete version of 000.1 assembly and in some cases that assembly may fail to open in the cad tool. The reasoning is that the system will retain the integrety of all historical data.

If the part needs to be deleted from Windchill, then the assembly that contains it should not exist either, and needs to be deleted.

You could delete the last iteration of the assembly to get so that there are no references to the part you want to delete.

If you can explain why you need to delete that part, there may be another approach to your problem, such as replacing the part you need to delete with the correct part, etc.

As, I said, probably not the answer you wanted to get from someone at PTC. I can tell you that we are listening, and taking note of the pain points, and we want to improve User Experience.

Regards,

Celia Lee

I agree with Celia as well, data integrity is most valuable (but sometimes a pita).

To my experience, your options are:

- deleting the complete history of the parent objects, in order to be able to delete the object itself. Sometimes impossible.

- moving the object to a hidden folder, a folder without read access whatsoever, I called it 'oblivion'

- renaming the object, for example *_out-of-use.prt, so it's recognized as being compromised.

Regards, Hugo.

Hello

Celia 's right , you can not delete the parts 3 and 4 , cause they are in the history of your parent assembly.

depending of action done by your engineer (new revision or new iteration), you can:

-delete the latest Revision (if he revise)

-delete the latest iteration (if he just check out/in)

-purge (if he just check out/in) . it will delete the fisrt iteration to the pre- latest one

before deleting parts 3 and 4...

regards

Gregory

I have a solution.

We have been facing this issue since 2004.

At that time, I found someone a the tech support who wrote for me a tool that allow me to "Purge" an EPMDoc history (I got it as well for WTParts, but it has become standard feature in 10).

Mail me (klinkenb@fnherstal.com) and I'll send it to you.

We also found another way to do that.

We created a "fake" library called Purge.

If we need to purge a CAD Doc, we move temporarly it into that Library, then, using the Purge Manager (from the Org Utilities), we create a collection with all the objects in the Purge Library.

One the purge is done, we move the CAD Docs back to their originating product.

Top Tags