cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Checkin another users work

zzbuggs
1-Newbie

Checkin another users work

We have a user that has some CAD files that need to get checked in, problem is that he is out for an extended period of time.

Can the Admin checkin his work? (I don't have access to his machine)

I know I can Undo his checkouts, but I want to checkin what he has in his workspace.

Windchill PDMLink 9.1

Wildfire 5.0

Thanks

-TT

9 REPLIES 9

In Windchill 9.1..as far as I know no. In WC 8.0 you could navigate to the user's workspace and actually open and save off the model, before the undo. PTC determined that this was loop hole and closed it for Windchill 9.1
Nice huh!

The short answer is "no, an admin cannot simply check in another user's work".

However, the admin has access to the principal manager. Through that the admin can change the absent user's password, then log in as that user and check in all work.

If your config is not set to upload automatically during every save, the admin will have to sit at that user's computer to perform this.

Of course this will cause some hassle for the absent user to get his new password from the admin, then reset his password, but if the need is great enough this should be a minor concern.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:zzbuggs)

Depending on how your local cache is set, you may need to login to the computer itself as the on-leave employee as well as in to Windchill as that person.
This only applies if the user has files that have been saved, but not uploaded. If the files have been at least uploaded, then login to Windchill as that user from any workstation will work.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

Exactly right, Ben. That's what I was talking about.

For those of you who are curious, the config.pro option to automatically upload objects from a workspace is

Every time a file is saved in Pro/E, an upload occurs in the background. As Ben mentioned, this allows that user to use any workstation and still see the work saved to that workspace.

Actually if you have access to the cache file on the local workstation, that can be moved to your computer. You can then log in as the absent user from your computer and do the check in. I had to do this several years ago after a layoff.

Do this: (assuming you don't have dm_upload_objects set to Automatic, we do and love it.)

1. If you personally don't have access to the users workstation, have an admin copy the entire cache directory structure to a network location where you can access it.

2. Make a new ProE startup script so that it points to the network location for the cache file

Add this to a copy of your ProE startup script: set PTC_WF_ROOT=<network drive=">\<path to=" cache=">\ProENGINEER

3. Startup ProE with this new script and log in as the old user. If you moved all of the cache the server should already be registered.

4. Access all the users workspaces and check in any files you need.

If your authentication is handled by AD or some other corporate LDAP, you will have to get permissions to log in as the user.

David Haigh

This method would be problematic for us where we connect to Active Directory. Changing the user's password would have to happen at that level. Many other IT policies kick in at that point that would probably prevent us from doing that.

Joe

In Reply to Don Senchuk:

However, the admin has access to the principal manager. Through that the admin can change the absent user's password, then log in as that user and check in all work.

If your config is not set to upload automatically during every save, the admin will have to sit at that user's computer to perform this.

Of course this will cause some hassle for the absent user to get his new password from the admin, then reset his password, but if the need is great enough this should be a minor concern.

I hear ya! I held a position where internal policy experssly forbid logging in as another user. Even as an admin I could not have followed the course I laid out above without fear of termination.

In those cases, if David's solution cannot be followed (though it should work) you may be SOL.

In Reply to Joe Priest:

This method would be problematic for us where we connect to Active Directory. Changing the user's password would have to happen at that level. Many other IT policies kick in at that point that would probably prevent us from doing that.

Joe

In Reply to Don Senchuk:

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

In the case of needing to check in work that someone has left in their workspace, exceptions to company policies can be made for extenuating circumstances.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.
AL_ANDERSON
5-Regular Member

It is a fairly simple API to get any users's working copy of an object,
then check it in with a comment indicating who did it, and why. If you
put that code snippet into a stand alone workflow, then initiate that
workflow either with the checcked out object as a primary business object,
or else passing in the number and version of the object as process level
variables, then you can run an administrative utililty to check in that
work. Unfortunately, if you do that, the primary content of any content
holder will remain whatever happens to be associated with the current
working copy, so if the user never uploaded their current work, then it is
likely that the checked in copy will simply contain the older iteration's
copy. Alternatively, you can simply Undo Checkout as an Org Admin from
the user interface.

We have used this kind of utility to set the state of objects as an admin
user so that the Process Initiator of any workflow kicked off by the state
change is the Creator of the object itself. We do that by having the
object as a primary business object on a workflow, we pick the desired new
state as a process variable, and then the workflow uses a code snippet to
change the session ID to the object's creator before setting its state.

Al Anderson

[solutions] - RE: Checkin another users work

Joe Priest
to:
solutions
12/02/2011 06:57 AM

Please respond to Joe Priest

Caterpillar: Confidential Green Retain Until: 01/01/2012

This method would be problematic for us where we connect to Active
Directory. Changing the user's password would have to happen at that
level. Many other IT policies kick in at that point that would probably
prevent us from doing that.
Joe

In Reply to Don Senchuk:
The short answer is "no, an admin cannot simply check in another user's
work".
However, the admin has access to the principal manager. Through that the
admin can change the absent user's password, then log in as that user and
check in all work.
If your config is not set to upload automatically during every save, the
admin will have to sit at that user's computer to perform this.
Of course this will cause some hassle for the absent user to get his new
password from the admin, then reset his password, but if the need is great
enough this should be a minor concern.

Site Links: View post online View mailing list online Send new post
via email Unsubscribe from this mailing list Manage your subscription

Use of this email content is governed by the terms of service at:
Top Tags