cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Checking in, restricted context errors, & renaming files

TS_10600193
3-Visitor

Checking in, restricted context errors, & renaming files

I am having issues with a new drawing file I have created. When I try to check-in the drawing, it errors out saying "A document with the filename XXXXXXX.drw already exists in a restricted context. Cannot change the filename of the document with filename "XXXXXXX.drw."

To remedy that and save my work I had saved it as "XXXXXXXa.drw" so that it would at least get uploaded and checked in.

When I search for the name that is in a restricted context, nothing shows up. Nothing exists because it is supposed to be a new part. Is there some reason I would need access to a restricted context in order to see the filename in question? Why would I need to create a filename for a file that shouldn't exist to begin with and doesn't exist when I try to find it?

4 REPLIES 4

Windchill enforces filename uniqueness for all files that are stored. It sounds like the file you were trying to upload had the same filename as something that already existed in the system. It just so happened that you didn't have access to see that file. 

So it could be that the filename was already checked in into a Product or Library that you don't have access to. It could also be possible that someone has created a drawing with that same filename and uploaded it (not checked in, just uploaded metadata). This would have the same effect - the filename is reserved, and since it only exists in that other user's Workspace, you wouldn't have access to see it. 

From my end of things that doesn't make any sense because I can't find it anywhere in our database. The dependent objects were fine being named with the same nomeclature (XXXXX_misXXX for weldments, XXXXX_misXXXa, XXXXX_misXXXb, etc. for individual parts) and they were all able to be checked in and saved. If there were a drawing with that filename, I shouldn't have been able to name other objects with the same nomenclature. 

If someone had uploaded something with that name, but not checked it in, what would be a solution to that? Is there any way to check if there is any metadata for it in our database?

Hi @TS_10600193 

You need to log in as a admin and search the object by admin privileges. 

If the file name is new and in uses workspace you need to delete it. 

From user perspective, you do not have access to other users workspaces also to library or product you are not access can not see and search the objects

PetrH 

I have gone through and cleared my workspace and my cache, opened up the back up that I save, and I still have that same error message pop up. With it being files that are part of new projects, it isn't coincidental that this many part numbers are already checked in by someone making a typo when checking in other parts. I have had someone with admin privileges and that came up with nothing, although it still says it is somewhere in a restricted context. Could it be that the file path is incorrect or has some sort of issue when I select where to check it in to?

Top Tags