cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Clarifications needed in BOM Management using Windchill

ptc-4531475
2-Guest

Clarifications needed in BOM Management using Windchill

Hi,

Good day to all.

I have a situation that needs some advice on how to handle the same. We have been using Windchill for quite some time now. During our usage of BOM we have identified that the End product BOM always pulls for the latest version of the child parts irrespective of the version or state of the End Product. Will explain with an example now:

Say i have an End Product named "A" with below details

Part NumbersVersionState
A10.4Released
A12.1Released
A23.7Released
Now the Product and Parts are revised for change as below
Part NumbersVersionState
A11.0Inwork
A13.0Inwork
A24.0Inwork
The problem is Now, when i go to old versions of Product A and retrive the BOM it displays the latest states of Parts irrespect of what state it was release then, example
A5.5Released
A13.0Inwork
A24.0Inwork

Is this how Windchill Normally behaves, i felt if this is the case then at any point of time no body will be able to retrive a old BOM.

Any help on this will be really appreviable.

Experts request your comment and support

3 REPLIES 3

Hi

yes it's the normal behaviour

Here, you deal with " BOM configuration management"

but first of all. What do you mean by part and BOM : CAD part and structure or WTpart and PLM Bill of material

Anyway.

Several solutions depending of level of tracking you want.

-for CAD or WTpart, today if you only work with "Set Sate". There's no solution. You can only work may be with 2 WTpart BOM revision level by using filters criteria : example LATEST RELEASED or LATEST INWORK (that will be quite the same than LATEST)

-for CAD or WTpart,you ccan create Baselines to fix a particular historic/milestone state of your structure/BOM

-for CAD or WTpart,if you use Promotion request to manage lifecycle states. you can use the embeded baseline. by not adding in the promotion request only the objects to promote, but all the strcture/BOM

-the last level of complexity, for WTpart. Using Change Managament and effectivities

Hi,

Excuse for delayed response and THANKS a lot for the response and support.

In first place to clarify you, i am discussing here about WTPart BOM only.

- I understand your solutions.

- What i was expecting is to download Multi-Level BOM from the structure tab for each revision of the End Product. I do not wish to set the filter every time my engineer tries to access the BOM

- In other words, is there a way to set "Baseline Filter" as default so that when somebody accesses the structure tab, they see only the configured filtered BOM structure.

Home my question is clear. It would be great if you can help me out of this.

Hi

PTC R&D is workorking on a "as released" filter for WTpart BOMs

Not sure as it will be definetely implemented.

But I think they will respect the actual "config spec" framework. So I imagine you will have to choose something in the filter selection ... .something like astored baselines for CADdodcs. but as released baseline ...

regards

Top Tags