cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The community will undergo maintenance on October 16th at 10:00 PM PDT and will be unavailable for up to one hour.

Clipboard Object LImit

jvanasse
1-Newbie

Clipboard Object LImit

The default limit for objects copied to the clipboard in 10.1 M040 is 250. We are looking at using Baselines to create/maintain As Built configurations. We will need the limit to be 7000 to handle our largest Product Structure. Has anyone expanded the clipboard limit? Any performance or usability issues?

Thanks,

J.P. Vanasse

Alcon

3 REPLIES 3

Hi J.P.,

The only question I have is why are you using the functionality of clipboard to modify and generate baselines for product structures that even over 2000 items? It should be done programmatically via combination of methods:

• collector with as stored baseline depending on how far you go down

• released generated baselines from an ECN package of objects in the resulting table

We did something like what your are doing when I was at Psion (now Motorola-Solutions). You can ask Najanaja.com to see if it is still available and was generated in the background on a different background method server.

In Reply to J.P. Vanasse:

The default limit for objects copied to the clipboard in 10.1 M040 is 250. We are looking at using Baselines to create/maintain As Built configurations. We will need the limit to be 7000 to handle our largest Product Structure. Has anyone expanded the clipboard limit? Any performance or usability issues?

Thanks,

J.P. Vanasse

Alcon

Hi J.P.

I was architecting and advancing the ECN released baselines further with applying effectivity attributes:

• in the EPM assembly member links

• document reference links to WTParts

• and WTPart usage links

Thus, every release change can apply effectivity values to where it is used for sub-assemblies and sub-components. I'm really familiar with this process working as an Aircraft engineerauthorizingECNs with different aircraft serial numbers and so forth for million of parts in an airplane. You had to know where engineering conformance and non-conformance changes were documented and recorded so that if there is a issue or lives are lost. You had to know what exactly was on that airplane.

Based on the effectivity released date and the serialorlot/batch number, the released "delivered baseline" can be generated.

The current functionality Windchill with all the links I mentioned and effectivity does not cover this standard business requirement for both medical and aerospace industry for years.

Give a shout to Najanaja.com and see if they still have that solution. If not, hopefully some other solution company can provide it. It was pretty simiple to draw out.

Thanks,

Patrick

In Reply to Patrick Chin:

Hi J.P.,

The only question I have is why are you using the functionality of clipboard to modify and generate baselines for product structures that even over 2000 items? It should be done programmatically via combination of methods:

• collector with as stored baseline depending on how far you go down

• released generated baselines from an ECN package of objects in the resulting table

We did something like what your are doing when I was at Psion (now Motorola-Solutions). You can ask Najanaja.com to see if it is still available and was generated in the background on a different background method server.

In Reply to J.P. Vanasse:

Thanks,

J.P. Vanasse

Alcon

Patrick, thanks for the great info. I will contact najanaja.com to discuss this futher.

We do automatically gernerate the As Designed baselines, creating a psuedo As Stored for a certain configuration.

I need to maintain an As Built configuration, that starts with the As Designed. The easiest method we have come up with is to "copy" the As Designed and modify as necessary to keep it As Built. Since we can't revise a Baseline, new copies are made with each As Built change.

In 9.1 you couldn't select all objects and Copy in a baseline. Our process used a Change Request's Affected Objects table populated by the existing baseline. We could then copy into the clipboard and paste into the new baseline.

In 10.1 you can copy objects from a baseline, as long as your clipboard can hold the objects.

I will meet with Jeff Zemsky this week to explore the Part Configurations and Part Instances functionality to see how we can introduce them into our process. My current thought is that it will add more work, but we shall see.

Thanks again,

J.P. Vanasse

Alcon

Announcements

Top Tags