cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Color coded parts and documents to help the user

DareDevil
1-Newbie

Color coded parts and documents to help the user

We have color coded parts and document types in Windchill. This is a way to show access right responsibility in a very user friendly manner. It is very easy to do, but it is not used widely for some reason. You only change the picture icon in the part (or document) definition. The picture below shows different types of parts in a structure at the structure tab. This will enhance the rolls, in my case, the project. Electronic engineers owns the green onces and Mechanics the gray. Yellow is own by a third party. If the structure is to be released, and that parts are not good enough, we can easy see how is behind schedule.

ScreenShot096.png

Is there any more possibilities like this that I have missed out on?

PTC: Why is the icon stated above not used in the Workspace. My green electrical parts turns gray when part is downloaded... annoying.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You can change the icon for each (sub)type in the Type and Attribute Management.   Icons need to be stored on the Windchill server.

Problem of displaying previous Icons in Wokspace is a cache issue.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
rkayasth
6-Contributor
(To:DareDevil)

Hello Daniel,

Excellent thoughts...

Just the one you missed out is the ones in RED which should be the ones "Checked-Out", irrespective of who-so-ever owns it. That way, it can be known easily by anybody who is about to release the assembly / product / end-item, that this is not going to fly.

BTW how did you do this trick? can share some code snippets?

Thanks,

You can change the icon for each (sub)type in the Type and Attribute Management.   Icons need to be stored on the Windchill server.

Problem of displaying previous Icons in Wokspace is a cache issue.

Hi Sven. If it were a cache issue, how would you resolve it? I don't think it is...

We had a similar issue with the customized icons; old icons were shown in advanced search.  I thought we solved it by restarting Windchill and deleting Apache Tomcat cache.

Can you post a picture of a Workspace with Colored icons for me... Seeing is believing!

Workspace.JPG

Now I believe you! Thanks

Top Tags