cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Combining Files in PDMLink

Barry
4-Participant

Combining Files in PDMLink

I have a request from a user to combine a series of files that their team created separate objects for each iteration of the file instead of checking out and uploading new versions into the one primary base object.    there are a total of 4 objects/file series, each having multiple revisions.   How do I "easily" create one composite object from these 5 objects and still keep the the most current one "on top"?  I have attached the snip of the objects I need to combine.   The requestor would like the top file in the snip to be the parent object.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Barry)

When my users do that, I give them instructions on how to save their files to disk and remove them from Windchill. 

Then another set of instructions on how to properly put the initial document in Windchill, get it approved (if you use an approval process) and then revise to the next revision and update the revised document attachments.

They won't make the same mistake after having to correct their errors.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Barry)

When my users do that, I give them instructions on how to save their files to disk and remove them from Windchill. 

Then another set of instructions on how to properly put the initial document in Windchill, get it approved (if you use an approval process) and then revise to the next revision and update the revised document attachments.

They won't make the same mistake after having to correct their errors.

Barry
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

Thanks Ben.  I should have mentioned that those instructions were provided after the discovery.  A program manager is asking for my assistance now.  I did say I could pull the three older files and that add them to the primary object as attachments.  Some of the revisions of the one they have retained have been released.

Top Tags