Compare properties files in a cluster using VisualVM the easy way!
I would like to say that using VisualVM to administer my system is by far the easiest way to operate. Not only can I e-mail support all of my logs and settings from this console, (yes I use SCC also). I can also restart all of the MethodServers, all of the BGMS, all of ServerManagers,one at a time or all together, the list goes on and on. To compare all of a particular properties file and send yourself or whomever the results, simply perform the following steps:
1. Connect to any node you wish via VisualVm. Use whatever client you like, but I use this.
*For this we will use db.properties, however all properties files are listed there*
2. Navigate to "Node">com.ptc>MethodServers>WhicheverMethodServerInstanceyoulike.1234>com.ptc>PropertiesManager>db>db.properties
3. Click on db.properties
4. In the right panel you will now see the "Attributes" tab highlighted. Click "Operations".
5. Find emailClusterPropertyComparison > Enter your e-mail address.
6. You will receive an e-mail shortly comparing the differences, if any. It will tell you if none are found.
I hope this is informative for you all. VisualVM is awesome. I simply wouldn't like my job if I couldn't use it.