cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Complete multiple workflow activities at once?

grocha
1-Newbie

Complete multiple workflow activities at once?

I can see that it is not possible OOTB but I would like to know what you guys think of completing multiple activities at once, something like the "Edit multiple activities" for project tasks.

The thing is that the amount of activities in one step of the workflow for each user per day is insane, at least in this part of the workflow I would like to allow the completion of multiple activities at the same time with the same value for a wf activity routing option.

I was thinking in customizing the actions menu:

• Repeats the process selecting all the activities which he wants to complete with other values.

Do you guys think this is reasonable?

Guilherme Rocha

3 REPLIES 3

Trying to use this functionality as we speak, wish it was possible OOTB

@grocha wrote:

I can see that it is not possible OOTB but I would like to know what you guys think of completing multiple activities at once, something like the "Edit multiple activities" for project tasks.

The thing is that the amount of activities in one step of the workflow for each user per day is insane, at least in this part of the workflow I would like to allow the completion of multiple activities at the same time with the same value for a wf activity routing option.

I was thinking in customizing the actions menu:

• Repeats the process selecting all the activities which he wants to complete with other values.

Do you guys think this is reasonable?

Guilherme Rocha

dharlan-2
4-Participant
(To:grocha)

I don't know how. But I would look at your workflows and prcatices.

IMO, as soon as you allow users to mass complete tasks, they are going to do that without looking at the actual tasks. If that's acceptable, then you are sending them tasks that they don't need to be doing and therefore you should modify your workflow to remove those tasks. Modifying the OOTB workflows really is pretty easy if you've never done it.

bsindelar
6-Contributor
(To:dharlan-2)

There is a way to accomplish this.

Typically in a workflow setup, you have a connection from "Task 1" to "Task 2".  At the time Task 1 has started, task 2 has NOT started yet.  Once Task 1 has been completed, tghe connector arrow then STARTS Task 2.

If instead at the time Task 1 is started you know that Task 2 will start simultaneously (or already be started), you can still put in that connector arrow, but instead of the arrow STARTING Task 2, you can change the transition of the arrow to COMPLETE task 2.

What I am not certain about on this though is what kind of data would be attached to the completed task.  I am certain you can route a specific routing option (meaning "Approve" on Task 1 will also automatically "Approve" on task 2, for example), but I think the system will retain whoever COMPLETED Task 1 is the person who completed Task 2.  I believe Task 2 will show as the Windchill system account as the one that completed the task.

There are use-cases where this makes sense to do, and I have implemented this function in multiple ways.  I've seen a "vote" task that goes to hundreds of people and needs to stay indefinitely open as people supply a route to "vote" a response, but then a "Final decision" task eventually closes up the "vote" task when the final decision is done.

Top Tags