cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The community will undergo maintenance on October 16th at 10:00 PM PDT and will be unavailable for up to one hour.

Configuration Mnagement.in Windchill

bbusschers
8-Gravel

Configuration Mnagement.in Windchill

Version: Windchill 12.0

Use Case: We use Windchill at the moment based on article numbers. This means that every CAD file (part) uses the article number in the filename. But from this article number the last digit is removed, because this last digit is used as revision number, which is controled by Windchill. For example: article number 1234567 has the filename 123456.prt and rev. 7.1 in Windchill representing article 1234567 with iteration 1. In the drawing header the truncated article number and the rev number are displayed separately.

Description:

Hello,

I know this is a difficult topic but I want to give it a try:
The above mentioned use case is resulting in the situation that with an revision update automatically
the parents are updated with respect to the BOM.
The latest revision is active, the revision is becoming in-active.

Now we received the request to keep the old revision still active beside the latest revisions.
The question is how to solve this:
One idea is that we can add the revision number to the filename (e.g. 1234567.prt in that case each revision acts as a separate article number) and use only iterations. Revision updates are done with a save as. But in that case how to display the article number as two separate blocks in the drawingheader?
e.g 123456     and    7
You can do that manually, but to avoid mistakes we want to automate it.
How to do that?
May be there are other ways to fulfill this request?

MCAD Mananger Benchmark
3 REPLIES 3
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:bbusschers)

Not sure I understand the full needs you have.

This is what I see you want.

Article Number: 2564581

Part file number: 256458

Part revision: 1

All of the information you need for the drawing titleblock is in the Part file number and Part Revision fields.

You can combine these to generate the Article number using relations.

All revisions of your part object are active in Windchill and can be retrieved, either in Creo or CreoView, if you publish your files.

Iterations are only added to the revision to become the part Version; 256458 Revision:2 Iteration:3 is Version:2.3.

You can make this article number: 2564582 very easily.

If this is not what you want, provide a more detailed explaination please.

Hello Ben,
many thanks for your mail.
let me explain in more detail:
Let say I have two parents with part file numbers: 123456 with rev 7 (1234567 as total article number) and 123567 with rev 8 (1235678 as total article number)
Both are using component with part file number 923456 with rev 1 (article number 9234561)  on the BOM.
When I update this component to rev 2: 923456 rev 2 then default both parents will be update on the BOM in Windchill when rev 2 is builded by the Windchill revision parameter and I am able to display the article number separate in two blocks: the part file number and the rev number.
In this case both parent will get a default update of the BOM because of the revision change and the old revision of the part 923456 will get the status obsolete.

Now I have the following situation:
Assume I have the same two parents: 1234567 and 1235678 and I have to update the component 9234561 to 9234562.
but is this case 9234561 will still be active for the first parent, 1234567 and the updated rev 2 9234562 will be active for 1235678.
One possibility is that I use the full article number as part file name and create the "rev 2" by using the save as for the 9234561 to 9234562.
Next step is to replace the part 9234561 by the 9234562 on the bom of the 1235678. That will keep both items active.
But in this case I do not have a part file name of 6 digits and an revision parameter available to display in the drawing header.
Because with a save as I create rev 2 9234562 with the Windchill rev indication 1.0.
How to solve that? May be by creating automatically two parameters (6 digits part id and a rev indicator) which can be displayed in the drawing header, but how to do that?

May be there are other ways to solve/tackle to above described situation?
regards,
Bert

MCAD Mananger Benchmark
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:bbusschers)

You can assign a revision level when you do a part copy.

The problem will be that the system will pick up the latest revision of your 923456 part when you load your assembly.

Announcements

Top Tags