cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Configuring Windchill SMTP

DaleA.Jackson
1-Newbie

Configuring Windchill SMTP

I've spent the past few days trying to troubleshoot this problem, but I've run out of ideas.

I'm trying to setup the SMTP configuration so Windchill can send emails. I have a gmail account set up for the purpose, and I've taken the following steps:

wt.mail.mailhost=smtp.gmail.com

wt.mail.port=587

(i've tried combining them into mailhost=smtp.gmail.com:587 with no difference)

wt.mail.properties=$(wt.home)$(dir.sep)mail.properties (contains property info for username and password of gmail account)

wt.mail.from=*email address for gmail account"

EMailQueue is running, and it shows when I try to send an e-mail through Windchill, but it fails, claiming "Can't send command to SMTP host" in the message attribute.

MethodServer window shows the following:

INFO : wt.system.out *admin* - EMailMessage message submission failed

INFO : wt.system.out *admin* - EMailMessage Can't send command to SMTP host

No other exceptions appear to be thrown.

I've tried this on multiple ports (25, 587), and with multiple e-mail hosts and accounts. I can telnet into the smtp servers through these ports from the machine running Windchill, so they aren't being blocked. I can't telnet into any of them on port 465 (the client crashes for some reason) but I read somewhere that Windchill doesn't support SSL with SMTP anyway so I didn't bother with it further; for the record, when I try using 465, the message changes to "Can't connect to SMTP host" with reponse=-1

I'm running 10.1 on a test server, so it shouldn't have anything complicated on it; I do believe PTC System Monitor is installed, if that's relevant.

Any advice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:DaleA.Jackson)

smtp.gmail.com requires use of SSL/TLS.

As of 10.1, Windchill should support SSL and TLS with SMTP by adding appropriate JavaMail properties to wt.properties (i.e. to change the mail protocol to smpts or to enable TLS).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:DaleA.Jackson)

smtp.gmail.com requires use of SSL/TLS.

As of 10.1, Windchill should support SSL and TLS with SMTP by adding appropriate JavaMail properties to wt.properties (i.e. to change the mail protocol to smpts or to enable TLS).

That did the trick. Thanks!

For anyone else who stumbles here in the future, the related properties can be found in the Java documentation for the SMTP package: https://javamail.java.net/nonav/docs/api/com/sun/mail/smtp/package-summary.html

starttls.enable and starttls.required both needed to be true before it would work.

SSL related properties are also there.

Hello Dale,

I am on the same issue. I want to use gmail smtp from Windchill with a simple configuration.

Did you also "import the certifcate of the mail server in to the jvm of windchill using the keytool" as described below.

Is certificate required? If it is required, can you please describe a bit or share a video to import the certificate?

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Windchill/How-to-Configure-SMTP-of-gmail-service-using-SSL-TLS-properties/m-p/191033#431272%3F&art_lang=en&posno=5&q=gmail%20smtp&source=search

Regards,

Andaç

SenthilKumarSam
4-Participant
(To:jessh)

We use 10.1 M030, Can you give us the details of the properties to be added to wt.properties.

we have added

mail.smtp.starttls.enable=true

mail.smtp.starttls.required=true

Still get the error

EMailMessage Can't send command to SMTP host

Our mail system: Exchange 2010 with TLS

Are you naming the properties wt.mail.smtp.starttls.***? Windchill expects the wt prefix for both of them, even though Java does not. Also make sure you're using the port that Exchange 2010 is expecting TLS commands on.

Dale,

Further testing reveals that we need to setup the below

mail.smtp.starttls.enable=true

mail.smtp.starttls.required=true

mail.smtp.ssl.trust=FQDN

We found 2 issues.

First issue - user emails not working.

Now the AUTH LOGIN 2.7.0 Authentication successful

But mail from user to the same user (internally) not working.

Reason:

authentication was provided by the admin user and normal user can't send email as admin user

DEBUG SMTP: got response code 550, with response: 550 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender

Second issue - system emails not working like queue problems, site not responding etc

Reason: In this case, tool has not reached the login steps.

DEBUG SMTP: got response code 530, with response: 530 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated

Is TLS supported with Windchill 10.1 M030?

Top Tags