cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Connection to PDMLink is lost

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Connection to PDMLink is lost

I am having a hard time finding anything related to one of my user's problem. This has happened three times to him in the past month and a halfand is the only one this has ever happened to.

The user is working on Win7 64 bit in Pro/E (WF4 M210 64 bit) connected to PDMLink (9.1 M060). But we haveseveral others with the same configuration and the same computer model. The user closes Pro/E and opens it some time later. There is no connection to PDMLink. The PTC directory is there on his computer. If we go into the Server Manager it shows only <no server=">. The workspaces are there if we log him into PDMLink through IE8.

I don't want to just register Pro/E to PDMLink because I don't know if that will mess anything up. So I just have him check all his files in while in IE, rename his PTC directory then re-register. All is working as it should again.

I suppose I could send the PTC directory to PTC's tech support to see if they can figure it out but the problem is it's usually in the couple of GB's insize.

It's likesomething got corrupted and Pro/E doesn't know there should be a connection. Has anybody seen this or have any ideas as to why it happens?

Steve G

4 REPLIES 4

Steve,

Yes, I’ve been working with PTC on this problem. Thus far their response has been to have me set up a debugger and collector on the users system and have them continue working. We don’t have a solution yet. I have a few users that experience the Cache disruption. I've been renaming the folders too. After 5 or 6 'user-name-old folders pile up on their drives it starts to get annoying.

I recommend logging a case on it.

Bob Lohbauer

PDM/ PLM Business Administrator

Jacobs Vehicle Systems

STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:STEVEG)

I have had some great responses already. Thank you.

Everyone has seen the response from Robert. I probably will submit a call if it happens again.

Response #1
Clearing the IE cache. David has seen this issue and this has helped.

Response #2
Herb asked if our cache was created on a mapped drive. We have our PTC directory and cache set to the same local directory.
He also suggested to set the PTC_WF_ROOT and the PTC_WF_CACHE to something different than what it is. Check if there is a different result.

Response #3
Have the user check in all files, remove all files from the workspace, then delete the workspaces. Go to the OS directory and delete the .pdm9 directory that has his workspaces and settings then restart Wildfire.

Ben mentioned we can reconnect to the server without a problem.

Ben also asked if the userset the dm_remember_server config option to no. This user doesn't have a config.pro file.

Steve G

Steve,

Thanks for bringing this issue up in the first place. I will try the browser cache clearing trick.

Bob
shumphrey
6-Contributor
(To:STEVEG)

We were having this issue on a computer that also had Productive ECAD Compare. Setting up a separate cache for ProE fixed out issue.

Top Tags