Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conversion of AutoCAD drawing to PDF in Windchill

Conversion of AutoCAD drawing to PDF in Windchill

Is it possible to convert AutoCAD drawing files to PDF in Windchill without manual intervention?

The article https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS32402 says that a 3rd party application has to be used for this.

Does anyone know anything on how the automatic conversion of AutoCAD drawing to PDF can be done?

Tags (3)
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Conversion of AutoCAD drawing to PDF in Windchill

Yes ,

As decribed in the PTC article, you need to deploy a CAD Worker.

Basically, it is dedicated conversion machine, that will convert automatically in PDF all the AutoCAD document that you will check in Windchill ...

You will probably need an Autocad licence. + the PTC worker component.

Then some light configuration on your Windchill Server to enable the communication between Windchill and the worker

regards

I have done it years ago on 9.1. Here is how

1. Create custom AutoCAD worker

2. Install "Acroplot" (licensed software) on CAD worker machine. Modify settings for PDFs. It creates PDFs via command line on AutoCAD.

3. Deploy custom VB code for AutoCAD on CAD Worker machine. When AutoCAD file opens for creating thumbnail, this code executes and creates PDF using Acroplot commands.

4. An IE task gets called by custom VB code to upload PDF to Windchill as WTDocument (not visualization file for business needs)

Apparently, I cannot provide more details (worker settings, code) at the moment.

Hi Gregory,

The problem is there is no OOTB worker available for the conversion and requires some custom code to be deployed. Once the custom code is ready setting up the worker is not difficult.

I dont know how to write this custom code or where to find it.

Dinil

Thanks Yogesh for the help. I think this would shed some light on how the conversion can be done.

Wish I could get the custom VB code that you mentioned since I am not good at VB.

I wonder any other way to convert PDF files? Any suggetsion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi Evan,

We dropped this project midway. But what we are planning to do is to use a 3rd party application that converts AUTO CAD files to PDF and integrate it with Windchill via customization. The name of the 3rd party application is veryPDF and you can use it on trial version and buy the full version if it satisfies your need.

Hello

the solution I adopted in my previous company was to implement PSW from Etrage. We had live dwg files stored in WTdocument which were converted into PDF outside of PDMLink or remove automatically depending of the life cycle state. We could also load PSW with a list of WTdocument number to mass create pdf. we once had a list of over 20 000 drawings )

You can see from all the responses that you need a third party application or create a custom code and that it is possible

Good luck

Best regards

We did a customization of CAD publisher to publish the AutoCAD PDF using the AnyDWG's DWG to PDF converter.  I am able create AutoCAD to PDF this way, but it is hard to put the PDF into the Thumbnail.

Hi Dinil,

Were you able to setup the AutoCAD Custom Worker?

Thanks,

Bhagirath