cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Creo View as a Viewer for .stp and .stl format files?

egifford
4-Participant

Creo View as a Viewer for .stp and .stl format files?

One of our purchasing agents wants a tool that will allow him to view .stp and .stl format files that he often receives as an engineer cc’s him in an email conversation with a supplier for a RFQ. At this stage the engineer is typically whipping up “what if” scenario parts in Pro/E, sometimes bogus naming for the model (not a real P/N yet), maybe getting a part made via a rapid prototype shop. Often the source Pro/E model hasn’t been checked-in to Commonspace. I’d like our buyer to use Creo View since it will be what he uses with Windchill when we bring purchasing online with Windchill – trying to keep the “view cad models” function to one tool. However, Creo View running standalone will open .stp files but not .stl . I tried e-drawings and oddly found it will open .stl but not .stp . Is Creo View simply unable to view .stl format files or does it take one of the more advanced (paid for / not Lite) versions to do this?

Pro/E Wildfire 4 M220

Windchill PDMLink 10 M030

Creo View Lite 2.0 M010 build 14

Had this over on Creo Visualize area but didn't receive any responses.

Erik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Erik

I am able to open an .stl file in MCAD, I do not see the option under Lite.

SNAG-0080.png

Corey

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Erik

I am able to open an .stl file in MCAD, I do not see the option under Lite.

SNAG-0080.png

Corey

egifford
4-Participant
(To:CoreyJones)

After a litte digging I found this document on the PTC web page that outlines the differences of the flavors of Creo View. Several file types do require the MCAD version of Creo View.

http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/129373/en/6813_Creo_View_Chart4_TS_EN.pdf

Erik

Top Tags