cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

CreoView 3.0 Errors and opens .pdf files in adobe reader

CraigSenovich
2-Guest

CreoView 3.0 Errors and opens .pdf files in adobe reader

On some clients when opening a .pdf file the following errors are given and the file opens in Adobe reader rather than in CreoView.

Failed to load the file. Check the Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader Installation

and

CreoView - productview.exe has stopped - A problem cause the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Reader XI is installed

CreoView 3.0 M020 32-bit

Windows 7

IE 8 32-bit

I have other clients with same configuration that do not have this problem.

Any Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Binesh,

I was able to resolve by following these steps:

1.       Uninstall CREO View.

2.       Uninstall Adobe Reader.

3.       Deleted Product View user cache from %appdata%.

4.       Deleted Adobe Reader user cache(11) from %appdata%.

5.       Installed adobe reader.

6.       Installed CREO View 64-bit.

7.       Cleared the browser cache checking all the boxes.

8.       Restarted Internet Explorer.

9.       Opened the required drawing in Windchill.

10.   Opened the drawing in CREO View.

11.   Accepted the policy prompted by Adobe Reader.

I don't think the issue is with CreoView 32-bit vs 64-Bit since I have other clients running with same configuration but with 32-bit CreoView with out any issue.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Try clearing the C:\Users\kbinesh\AppData\Roaming\PTC\ProductView directory. I got this error many times with several clients, but I don't have one single solution which fixed all. Some fixes were  downgraded to Adobe X, updated Creoview to latest version, disable security preference in Reader XI

thanks

Binesh

Barry Wehmiller

Hi Binesh,

Thanks for the suggestion, I have already done this.   It has worked in the past on some clients but it does not always work.    I have one client right now that I can not get fixed.   I've uninstalled all remnants of ProductView, and Adobe reader.  Cleared all AppData for both and did a fresh install of CreoView and Adober reader and still get the same results.  

What security preference's in Reader XI are you referring to?

Hi Craig,

I was talking about - "Protected View mode for Files from potentially unsafe locations or All files"  set through Adobe Acrobat XI Preferences

Not sure whether this is relevant to this case - https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS186823&art_lang=en&posno=5&q=adobe%20XI&source=search

Thanks

Binesh

Barry Wehmiller

Hi Binesh,

I was able to resolve by following these steps:

1.       Uninstall CREO View.

2.       Uninstall Adobe Reader.

3.       Deleted Product View user cache from %appdata%.

4.       Deleted Adobe Reader user cache(11) from %appdata%.

5.       Installed adobe reader.

6.       Installed CREO View 64-bit.

7.       Cleared the browser cache checking all the boxes.

8.       Restarted Internet Explorer.

9.       Opened the required drawing in Windchill.

10.   Opened the drawing in CREO View.

11.   Accepted the policy prompted by Adobe Reader.

I don't think the issue is with CreoView 32-bit vs 64-Bit since I have other clients running with same configuration but with 32-bit CreoView with out any issue.

Hi Craig,  I just see that you replied and got it working.  Good to hear.  I am including what I typed up to explain what is happening.  You will probably see this issue come back as it could be tied to IE bit, but is directly tied to how Adobe is set to open PDFs in browsers and the short answer is set adobe and IE to open pdfs in your web browser, restart your computer and then it should work.  Now for the long answer:

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"

That is a general error to basically say Creo View is not able to use the Adobe add-in either due to it being turned off, or not available for the IE64-bit version.  This issue depends on several programs/settings between Adobe, Adobe add-in for IE, and 64-bit vs 32-bit IE.

• For example, if you have Adobe 9 with IE9, then it depends on if you are using 32-bit or 64-bit IE shortcut.  But in IE10 and IE11, Microsoft merged 32-bit vs 64-bit so it is inseparable tied to the bit type of windows you are running, not the shortcut you start with.

There are different ways to set this depending on which version of Adobe you have, but the crux of it is if you have adobe opening PDFs embedded in the browser, than Creo View will work (after a system restart), if you turn this off because you don’t want PDFs to open in the web browser, than Creo View will immediately not work for PDMLink docs (Cad files are not affected).  To fix, set Adobe to open web accessed PDFs in the browser and then restart the computer. To do this depends on the version of Adobe and there are 2 ways so you can try them both. 

Turn on Adobe from opening PDF in web browser (opposite to turn it off):

1. 1) Older version of Adobe:
    1. Open Adobe & go to preferences, Internet, & check open PDF.
    2. Open IE and enabled the Adobe Add-in (if you don’t see it go to all add-ins…sometimes it is tricky to get it to show)
    3. Close Adobe, IE, and restart computer.
    4. Open PDMLink via 32-bit IE8/IE9 (“c:\Programs files (x86)”).  If you are using IE10/IE11, can use 32/64 bit shortcut. 
    5. Creo View should now work for all PDMLink docs/PDFs.
  2. 2) Newer version of Adobe doesn’t have the toggle inside adobe any more, as it is entirely dependent on the Adobe Add-in inside
    1. Open IE & Enable adobe add-in
    2. Close IE and restart computer
    3. Open PDMLink via 32-bit IE8/IE9 (“c:\Programs files (x86)”).  If you are using IE10/IE11, can use 32/64 bit shortcut. 
    4. Creo View should now work for all PDMLink docs/pdfs.

If you are using IE8/IE9, and a version of Adobe IX (don’t remember how Adobe X behaves), then realize that it will never work from a 64-bit shortcut, and you must use the 32-bit shortcut for it to work.  This actually is nice because then you can use 32-bit IE for Creo View and 64-bit IE for PDFs to open in default PDF viewer.  Unfortunately I have not found a workaround to get this dual functionality simultaneously using IE10 and IE11.  You must pick one and live with it till you restart your computer!

I and others have resolved that we cannot use Creo View at all for PDMLink docs because we require PDFs to be open in the default PDF viewer (I use Foxit, but same effect with Adobe).  I have reported it to PTC as a bug, but they called it “intended functionality”.  Since all intended functionality should be documented as such, I requested the source and although they showed me some documentation it said the adobe add-on was only required to mark up in Creo View.  But for viewing it is not documented as being required to just view (no one uses Creo View for marking up…partly because it had severe problems when we tried it). So I am still waiting on them to either show the documentation or report it as a bug.  If your users also require Creo View to open PDMLink docs AND for your users to be able to open web PDFs in the default PDF viewer, then I suggest you also report it to PTC as a bug.

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"
Top Tags