cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Deleting files

ErikZabokrtsky
8-Gravel

Deleting files

Does anyone know how to do like a complete wipe of Windchill?

During initial implementation we pushed our entire database to our Test server and now we don't need all of the assemblies and drawings on there anymore. I only want to remove the files and none of the settings.

I tried to just do a purge job but it won't do it when they are tied to other items.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

I guess I should include that we are on Windchill 10.0 build M030.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:ErikZabokrtsky)

Eric - Please note that Purge will not purge all iterations of all revisions of your files. At most it will purge everything but the last iteration of the latest revision. Also, Purge purges the data in chunks. Therefore, you may run into ReferentialIntegrityViolations if you are trying to purge everything at once, but the related files of the files included in a particular chunk are not included in that chunk. Chunk size is controlled by a preference in Preference Management (-1 is unlimited, but not recommended as it can lead to OutOfMemoryErrors):

purge.png

If you set chunk size to 1 then that will at least let you purge all of the objects that don't have ReferentialIntegrityViolations, but it might take a while depending on how much data you have.

The Delete action allows you to delete all iterations of a selected version:

delete_purge.png

Can you generate a search that will return all data and then select everything for Delete?

If that doesn't work it may take a combination of purging and deleting.

I can't do a delete of group of files because other models are dependent on them. I can't do a delete of everything because Windchill throws an error about the maximum number of parameters in the RPC request.

Any other ideas? Is there really a reason to even have a test Windchill server? I can't remember the last time I even used the thing.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:ErikZabokrtsky)

What if you try deleting using a top-down approach (i.e. delete all asms then all parts)?

How much data and exactly what kind of data are you looking to delete? Just CAD Documents or CAD Docs, WTParts, and/or WTDocuments?

Is any of this data located in workspaces at present?

Shared to projects?

Added to baselines?

It would be a good idea to open a case with Technical Support to get further assistance with this.

Top Tags