cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Desktop Integration and office documents

JordyvanderVeld
1-Newbie

Desktop Integration and office documents

We have many .docx documents that we want to maintain in Windchill (10.2). These documents however have links to other documents (e.g. "see this document for more information regarding X").

Is this also possible when the documents are in Windchill?

And if it is possible, how do we know that the link points to the latest version of the document?

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

We are currenly on 10.1. When we migrated from 9.0 to 9.1 this is what I had. But I have not verified it in 10.x

You CANNOT create a link for the latest iteration of the latest revision. However...

You CAN create a link for the latest iteration of a specific revsion.

Must be copied a certain way: The Details page

Two ways to copy this link but only one will work.

Searching for the document

Browsing to the folder that contains the document.

Only browsing to the file in the folder then selecting the details link will work. Going to the details page via a search result did not work.

"And if it is possible, how do we know that the link points to the latest version of the document?"

Use Document Structure. A parent document will point to the latest revision of a child document based on the user's filter (i.e. Latest or Latest Released, etc.).

Don't use Document Reference to Document since that will point to a specific version of a document to a specific (not necessarily latest) version of a document.

We created an Info*Engine application that opens directly the target document from an hyperlink in a source document. The user has to authenticate, of course. According the hyperlink used, it's the latest iteration or the latest released iteration that's opened.

Hi Jordy,

Windchill does not have a dynamic URL that will point to latest, rather we point to the IDA2A2 of the object.

Here is an article that talks about generating a URL dynamically though: https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS22860

Good Luck,

Jarrett

Top Tags