cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Does Windchill override some Config options? (pro_format_dir)

pcnelson
1-Newbie

Does Windchill override some Config options? (pro_format_dir)

I noticed while updating some formats that the Config option (pro_format_dir) appears to be overwritten by PDMLink. The newest format revisions are stored in a network folder which is specified in our config.sup file. When creating a new drawing and using the Empty with Format option the default location that appearsin the dialog box is the same location specified in the Config.sup file. However, when that format is selected it is eventually overwritten by an older version stored in PDMLink. What are my options? I am hesitant to delete (if I can) the older revisions in PDMlink, but I don’t like the ideas of multiple objects with the same name existing as well as users potentially using revisions other than the current standard. I could check-in the newest rev to PDMLink to be safe. But then all future changes have to be updated 2 places.

Or, are we missing a setting the takes the place of pro_format_dir when one is using PDMlink?

9 REPLIES 9
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:pcnelson)

On 07/31/13 09:53, pete nelson wrote:
>
> I noticed while updating some formats that the Config option (pro_format_dir) appears to be
> overwritten by PDMLink. The newest format revisions are stored in a network folder which is
> specified in our config.sup file. When creating a new drawing and using the Empty with Format
> option the default location that appearsin the dialog box is the same location specified in the
> Config.sup file. However, when that format is selected it is eventually overwritten by an older
> version stored in PDMLink. What are my options? I am hesitant to delete (if I can) the older
> revisions in PDMlink, but I don't like the ideas of multiple objects with the same name existing
> as well as users potentially using revisions other than the current standard. I could check-in
> the newest rev to PDMLink to be safe. But then all future changes have to be updated 2 places.
>

A format is an object (with content) just like a drawing or assembly. So when you "imort" the format
in from the pro_format_dir outside of PDMLink ProE will most likely look for the format in this order:

* In session
* In the workspace
* In commonspace ?? (not sure about this one)
* In the pro_format_dir (you will get "new object same name exists" conflicts in workspace)

You should consider Windchill as the master so update the format in Windchill and then export if
needed. You should also set pro_format_dir to point to Windchill.

> Or, are we missing a setting the takes the place of pro_format_dir when one is using PDMlink?
>

When using PDMLink your formats will also be in PDMLink.

>
> -----End Original Message-----

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
1525 E North St
PO Box 5060
Salina, KS USA 67401
email: -
Phone: 785-823-3276
Fax: 785-667-2695
------------------------------------------------------------------------

From what I understand now it seems like the best thing is to do ispoint the pro_format_dir to Windchill. Is that done in a config file, and if so, what is the proper syntax do do that?

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

You want to put the formats in 2 locations.
One in your default disk location for configuration files.
The second is in Windchill in a library folder. Mine is as follows:
Pro_format_dir wtpub://PDM/Libraries/CFG LIB/Main/PTC Settings/Formats

The key to making this work is that everyone MUST use the same name (PDM) for the name of their Windchill Server. This is the name used when you register the Windchill server to Wildfire under Tools-Server.

The other thing to be aware of is if you revise the formats, the system will pull the format iteration that was saved with the drawing when it is retrieved. I have many drawings come through for release that do not have the latest format. Also, once a format is in a workspace it will be the one used when creating a new drawing, even if you specify the one from the Library.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

"the system will pull the format iteration that was saved with the drawing when it is retrieved"

I think this may be preference dependent. Our system is set up to always download the latest (of everything) unless otherwise specified. If I download a drawing "as stored" I will get the version of the format that was used at creation time. If I don't specify "as stored", then I automatically get the latest version of both the drawing and format regardless of which version of the format was used at creation time.

WC 9.1 M050.

Tom U.

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Daniel Reid <-> wrote:

I’m pretty sure you have to update both places, until you get to a point where you point your config.pro to retrieve formats directly from Windchill.

Windchill won’t let you check-in a drawing with its format unless it has that format linked to its own copy. It is just like any other dependency.

I've tried pointing to the WC server, but I am not getting the command correct. I think the format should be as shown below (#1), but this only ends up pointingto a blank Systems Formats folder. I can use the second line (#2) to point to a folder on another machine and it will work, but for some reason I thought I needed to point to the WC server. (I think I've seen other posts saying to point to

You only point to one library.

Andy Hermanson
Engineering Design Applications

tel 605.275.1040 x51114 mobile 605.951.0168
website www.daktronics.com

OK, thanks. Do you point to WC? If so, can you share your command
please?

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Andy Hermanson <
andy.hermanson@daktronics.com> wrote:

> You only point to one library. ****
>
> ** **
>
> Andy Hermanson*
> *Engineering Design Applications****
>
> ****
>
> tel 605.275.1040 x51114 mobile 605.951.0168
> website www.daktronics.com ****
>
> ** **
>
> ****
>
> [image: Daktronics_Sig_Logo]****
>
> ** **
>
> *From:* pete nelson [

Very strange. Below are two lines from my config.sup file. The first was created through Creo>Tools>Options> and saved into the config.pro, the commented out one is the one I typed into the config file. The line created within Creo works, although it is painfully slow. I may just have to use the local folder for the user's sake. Any thoughts on why navigating within Creo worked, and typing the same path in the config file did not? Thank you for everyone's help and patience.

Pro_format_dir wtpub://esgfppdmapp01/Libraries/Marathon_Common_Parts/FORMATS

!Pro_format_dir wtpub://esgfppdmapp01/Libraries/Marathon_Common_Parts/FORMATS

egifford
4-Participant

Pete,

Not sure because they do look the same at a glance. One thing I have seen, though, is it is case sensitive at least for the server name. For instance in our config file that line looks like this: pro_format_dir wtpub://Windchill/Libraries/Lisk Library/FORMATS but if a userregistered to theserver from Pro/E and typed "windchill" at the name field instead of "Windchill", the user would not get the formats located in Windchill. The capital W made all the difference. As others have indicated, entries like this in the config file require that the server name match the registered server in Pro/E (Creo) exactly. That said, I'm not sure what's going on in your case - both the "worked" and "didn't work" lines look the same.

Erik

Top Tags