cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

During auditing, how does PTC count licenses in Windchill PDMLink?

Vinay_S
15-Moonstone

During auditing, how does PTC count licenses in Windchill PDMLink?

Dear All,

This is a question which is unanswered from a long time / I haven't been able to identify the solution. Can anyone with past experience in your workplace tell me during auditing, how does PTC count licenses in Windchill PDMLink? 

1. Will it count the actual number of active users versus the purchased licenses?

OR

2. Will it count against the number of users created from day when Windchill PDMLink was installed (which includes deleted users + active users as well)?

If there is any documentation available regarding this which would at least take me near to the answer for my query would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Vinay S.
CADOpt Technologies Private Limited
Bengaluru.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Vinay_S)

... when PTC audits ...

I think the way PTC does audits may be changing now that Windchill 11.1 more accurately tracks license usage (and because most of the links to the audit process have been removed from the knowledge base.)  Regardless, there is a special group that you can create (I don't remember the name of it) and any users added to that group will not be counted during the audit.  This is where you would place any users who no longer access the system but are still defined.  Any users who have already been deleted from Windchill won't be counted either.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Vinay_S
15-Moonstone

Dear @BjoernRueegg @TomU @BenLoosli @BineshKumar1 sorry to bother you but can you help me out with this?

Vinay S.
Bengaluru.
TomU
23-Emerald IV

Licensing changed significantly in Windchill 11.1.  Based on your tags it looks like you're asking about previous versions.  To the best of my knowledge license usage is based on unique login name per day.

This article may also help:

http://support.ptc.com/cs/help/windchill_hc/wc110_hc/index.jspx?id=AuditAdminLicenseTypes&action=show

Vinay_S
15-Moonstone
(To:TomU)

Thank you for the information provided, I am very much grateful. Also one more last doubt what about the deleted users? Suppose if an organization has purchased 50 licenses initially, they create 50 user accounts and out of which they delete 10 users over a period of time and work with 40 users currently.  Now when PTC audits will the number of licenses still be 50 or will it be considered 40 since users have been deleted?

Vinay S.
Bengaluru.
TomU
23-Emerald IV

... when PTC audits ...

I think the way PTC does audits may be changing now that Windchill 11.1 more accurately tracks license usage (and because most of the links to the audit process have been removed from the knowledge base.)  Regardless, there is a special group that you can create (I don't remember the name of it) and any users added to that group will not be counted during the audit.  This is where you would place any users who no longer access the system but are still defined.  Any users who have already been deleted from Windchill won't be counted either.

Vinay_S
15-Moonstone
(To:TomU)

@TomU Thank you so much for your valuable information and time Tom. I will try to dig in more regarding this.

Vinay S.
Bengaluru.
Top Tags