cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

ECNs not embedded in Tasks - why? It was fine in WC 8.

ptc-4678371
1-Newbie

ECNs not embedded in Tasks - why? It was fine in WC 8.

We have been "upgraded" to WC 10 for almost a year. While I have learned to circumvent, or "customize" as it were, the new Windchill GUI in order to optimize my performance, there is still one feature that was available in WC 8 that I can't replicate in WC10. This is the opening of a task "Name" and not being able to access the task "Subject".

As an engineering manager who assigns ECNs to multiple designers, I now have to teach everyone how these two hyperlinks are drastically different. In Windchill 8, the ECN/change task was embedded in the task. Why is it different in 10? Plus, since WC hijacks the right button click, it is more difficult to open these 2 in different tabs. You've essentially created a disparate user experience. Many times we have worked on the ECN/Change Task, loaded up the affected/resulting objects, then had to navigate back to the home screen, and then find the matching task name and send that one forward. Did you ever think that we would have multiple tasks with the very similar names in our "my tasks" page. Well, we do. And it is much better to load up the resulting objects in the change task (embedded in the task itself), and then comfortably complete your assignment. Is there a setting which will bring this back?

Below shows task name and subject. I used to be able to access the "subject" when clicking on the "name". Can we make this happen again?

3 REPLIES 3

This is our users' biggest complaint also.

It was so easy and straightforward to simply scroll down the PBO at the bottom of the assignment. We've lobbied hard to bring this back. We're very wary of PTC's plans to include selected parts of the PBO in the Task going forward - seems like it will be buggy.

Not a solution to the whole Task vs Change Task UX complexity the user has to understand but to ease the pain a bit with the current version 10 UI:

- Open links in a new tab using the middle mouse button (click on your scroll wheel) or use ctrl-right click to bypass the Windchill menu and get to the original browser menu.

I have no WC 10 experience, so this may not work. But I'd take a guess that PTC's right mouse button context menu may be customizable. Maybe you could add an "Open in new tab/window" action if the target is a URL?

If it's the case that there's no context menu and right mouse click is disabled for the simple sake of disabling it, brush up on your javascript and start digging. Terms like mouseup, mousedown, click, etc.

As far as addressing the real issue, I'm sure you've taken a look at any related preferences?

Good luck

Top Tags