cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

EPM Doc and WT Part Associations

ChrisCollinson
6-Contributor

EPM Doc and WT Part Associations

Guru's

I have been seeing it more and more lately where the CAD Document is being accosicated to the wrong version of the WT Part or no association at all. This mean I have to manually go in and dis-associate any incorrect wt parts from the CAD doc, which checks out the cad doc and wt part, so I have to check them back in and maybe go through this process several timesand then re-associate to the correct one, or create and associate to the correct one

Does any know of better/easier/quicker way of doing this.

I beleive the cause is users doing revise and check out outside of the Creo/ProE environment and not ensuring the WT parts are included in their revise and check outs

Thanks All

6 REPLIES 6

Hi Chris, this can be a frustrating issue. The Revise and Checkout option only revises the object at hand and nothing else. No collector. This creates havoc sometimes. Not only with WTParts but also with Drawings in companies that require users to revise the model and the drawing together. We really need to be able to turn off this option via a config.pro setting and a global preference (for WGM's).

That being said, education to never use this option is your only option to the best of my knowledge. I'm hoping someone will chime in with a better solution though.

[cid:image001.gif@01CDF495.4EA84F10]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer

Chris,

That is a common problem we have as we start rolling out Parts for models. When you revise or do a similar type act on a model you do need to collect the Part as well. When that doesn’t happen I get the task of dis/re-associating so I do feel your pain.

In the Org/Utilities Preference Manager under Revise you can set the collector to automatically collect Dependent or Related Parts. Depending on how deep you want to pull. Many other actions in the Preference Manager have the same ability to modify object collection preferences.

Bob Lohbauer

If you find yourself in this situation where the wrong version of the CAD doc is linked to the WTPart, it most likely will require an admin to fix since one of them will be released.
Example: CAD Doc was revised only but not linked to the WTPart which was not revised.
Fix – Do from browser not within Wildfire and in an empty workspace:

1. Revise WTPart, it will still be linked to old version of CAD doc.

2. Add WTPart to workspace and do an edit – disassociate. WTPart will be checked out.

3. Remove link to old version of CAD document. Cad Doc at old version will be checked out and added to workspace.

4. Undo-checkout of Cad Document.

5. Update CAD Document to latest version. You can also remove and re-add Cad Doc to workspace at latest version.

6. Edit – Associate Cad Doc to WTPart

7. Check in both.

Yes, this is a PITA but I only see this occasionally. You can get pretty quick at it.

What's the benefit of revising the Windchill Part along with the component, when the drawing is not revised? For this reason, we can't allow people to use the revise and checkout in the fly.

Regards, Hugo.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that they Revise the Part and Component but leave out the Drawing. I would say most would want to Revise all 3 via the collector system when possible.

Agreed, the "Revise and Checkout" option is not recommended

[cid:image001.gif@01CDF4A5.93FF0F80]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer

Steve,

I think we have all struggled with this. My conclusion is the only way to do this is to police it your workflow.

I wrote code for our workflow that first looks at the WTPart's related docs.

If it finds the correct number, revision EPMDocs are associated with th ecorrect link type (passive/active) all is fine and workflow keeps going.

If either model or drawing are not found the workflow searches the dB for them. If they don't exist the workflow keeps going.

If they do exist a task, Add EPMDOc to WTPart, is sent to the user point out their error.

This task has a default routing option of "Automatic" and accompaning transition code which will automatically associate the model (active link) and drawing (passive link) to the WTPart.

This linking could be done without sending the task to the user but if I did that they would never learn. This way the association is a no brainer for the user, they learn what is expected and dB is sound.

David

In Reply to Chris Collinson:

Guru's

I have been seeing it more and more lately where the CAD Document is being accosicated to the wrong version of the WT Part or no association at all. This mean I have to manually go in and dis-associate any incorrect wt parts from the CAD doc, which checks out the cad doc and wt part, so I have to check them back in and maybe go through this process several timesand then re-associate to the correct one, or create and associate to the correct one

Does any know of better/easier/quicker way of doing this.

I beleive the cause is users doing revise and check out outside of the Creo/ProE environment and not ensuring the WT parts are included in their revise and check outs

Thanks All

Announcements

Top Tags