cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Export all PDF Representations for entire WTPart Structure (assembly and children)

swood
6-Contributor

Export all PDF Representations for entire WTPart Structure (assembly and children)

Is there any way to export all PDF Representations (created by a CAD Worker) for an entire WTPart assembly? We build our BOMs in Windchill, and then need an easy way of compiling all of the related PDFs for that BOM.

Is this an option in Windchill?

Is there an add-on/utility that can do it?

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:swood)

The PTC Navigate add on can do this.  I believe Wincom Consulting also has a solution for this.

bcedar
14-Alexandrite

Have you looked into Packages?

swood
6-Contributor
(To:bcedar)

No, I haven't. I'm not sure what Packages you are referring to. Can you point me to more info?

Thanks.

bcedar
14-Alexandrite

http://support.ptc.com/help/windchill/wc110_hc/whc_en/#page/Windchill_Help_Center%2FPackageCreateOview.html%23

They're avaiable in 10.2 as well (not sure when they first became available).  But it essentially allows you to use a Collector to pull a bunch of objects together and create a Package (a zip file with an HTML index file) that presents itself like a mini Windchill environment for the sole purpose of displaying information about the collected objects.

swood
6-Contributor
(To:bcedar)

Thanks. I just breifly looked into these. Although it appears that it should add Representations (as Published data) to the Package, it couldn't get it to. I also cannot find a way to download the package contents (only a list of the contents), which doesn't help any. This does look like it has potential, so I need to look into it more, but I am not too optimistic.

This is a way to get PDF drawings from a product structure in a package. You might call it a workaround but it works for us. Here is an extract for our documentation on this subject

Gathering Items for export using a package

Packages are a great way to gather and export data from Windchill for the benefit of clients and suppliers.

For example, by adding a single top-level Windchill part to a package, you can then configure the package collector to:

1. Expand the part structure based on a configuration (eg latest or baseline)
  2. Find CAD models related to parts
  3. Find drawing using the models

Alternatively, you may wish to perform an advanced search to find multiple items to directly to package (eg all drawings in a product). It also worth noting that an existing managed collection can also be used to populate a package.

Import step in order to leverage the Windchill package for exporting  PDF drawings

1. Ensure CAD Document drawings are directly added to package and/or gathered by the package collection
  2. The package collection rules are configured to include published content (i.e. PDF drawings)15-39-31_Bulk Export of PDF Drawings from Windchill (eg all drawings in product) - Windch.png

Creating package deliverable with a .ZIP export

Once a package is locked, you can create deliverables which trigger the creation of .ZIP file.

If you only want the PDF drawings files in the zip (without the CAD models and CAD drawing) then select to include only files with .PDF extension when locking the package.

15-41-06_Bulk Export of PDF Drawings from Windchill (eg all drawings in product) - Windch.png

A workaround to get a folder full of PDF files from a package deliverable .zip

Unfortunately when you create a .ZIP from a package deliverable, each of the drawing representations is added to the package in CreoView format, which has the file type .PVZ. A .PVZ is actually just another kind of zip file which contains the actual .PDF file you want, plus a bunch of other things that only CreoView can make use of. Put simply, a package .ZIP is actually a zip for full of zips!!! (each sub .zip or rather .pvz containing one .PDF file)

Thankfully you don't have unzip each .PVZ one by one, you can you use the free 7zip program to unzip all the .PVZ files in a single action.

• Ensure you have 7zip installed on you computer
  • Use 7Zip to open the CONTENTS folder in the package .ZIP
  • Change the view to sort by type

15-42-21_Bulk Export of PDF Drawings from Windchill (eg all drawings in product) - Windch.png

• Select all the .PVZ files
  • Select EXTRACT
  • Set the target folder
  • Set Overwrite mode to Auto rename15-43-31_Bulk Export of PDF Drawings from Windchill (eg all drawings in product) - Windch.png

Top Tags