cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

[External] representations needed now - no waiting for publishing for hours

Spikaart
1-Newbie

[External] representations needed now - no waiting for publishing for hours

Something is making me suspect that it might not be my local workstation that is generating the creo/view files. I just tried this and it did in fact make the creo/view representation available without a wait. However, it took noticeably longer for the check in to complete which made me suspect that it was still using the worker to publish the file. So I took a look at the WVS Job Monitor and it does show that the particular part I checked in had run through the queue and also had a different "Q" code (M1 instead of L1 as everything else has).

It causes me to suspect that the custom check in does in fact run it through the worker but it cuts in line. Regardless, it worked and we didn't have to wait hours for the worker to chug through the queue to get to it. That was my goal and the help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

So now, as an added question, I'm interested to know for sure if the user's local machine creates the representation and uploads it or if it goes through the worker and gets to cut in line. Seems a little wasteful to use the worker to do this when the user already has it in session in Creo and wants the representation immediately. Maybe the longer check in I experienced was due to the representation file having to upload.

Any more input on this is greatly appreciated. Meanwhile I've already learned how to get the representations right away. Thanks again!

Steve Pikaart

5 REPLIES 5

Steve,

You are correct. When you use the 'Models and Viewavles' option during checkin, a client-side viewable is uploaded along with the CAD document and server-side publishing is not triggered. Although this is good with regards having a viewable immediately upon checkin, there could be an issue since this viewable might not have all the settings configured in the CAD worker recipe file. For example, if you have configured your recipe file to generate PDF output for all drwaings, a client-side viewable will not comply with this setting.

Regards,

Ravi

Is there a possibility of configuring Creo to create the viewable all the time, and getting that viewable to tag along upon check-in? This would take a lot of load (most of it actually) off our publishing service and make sure that the files we're currently actively working on are available to CreoView immediately.

There is a config that saves viewables any time a user saves. It's generate_viewable_on_save yes. Does anyone know if this setting would also cause the viewables to ride along for check-ins?

I'm not sure I would advocate for this even if it is possible but I'm curious if it is even an option.

Steve Pikaart

Steven,
I would think that the combination of the config.pro setting "generate_viewable_on_save yes" and the preference shown below would do just that. If the preference was set to "Models and Viewables".
[cid:image003.png@01CE8F89.51615D70]

Mike Ibosh

Steven,
It's under Site or Org (depending on where you want to set it) -> Utilities -> Preference Manager -> Workgroup Manager Client -> Check In Content Options. The default is Model Only.

Mike Ibosh

If everyone publishes locally at time of Save, what does the publisher do?
And how do you ensure they all have the "standard" publishing settings
locally?

On Aug 2, 2013 12:35 PM, "Pikaart, Steven D Total Technical Services,
Waltham, Mass." <steven.pikaart@pw.utc.com> wrote:
>
> Is there a possibility of configuring Creo to create the viewable all the
time, and getting that viewable to tag along upon check-in? This would take
a lot of load (most of it actually) off our publishing service and make
sure that the files we’re currently actively working on are available to
CreoView immediately.
>
>
>
> There is a config that saves viewables any time a user saves. It’s
generate_viewable_on_save yes. Does anyone know if this setting would also
cause the viewables to ride along for check-ins?
>
>
>
> I’m not sure I would advocate for this even if it is possible but I’m
curious if it is even an option.
>
>
>
> Steve Pikaart
>
>
>