cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

FVItems remain but not tied to Application Data

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

FVItems remain but not tied to Application Data

I am in the file stage of my vault move and clean up. There are 0 files in the remaining folders but a Query Builder report show 50 files remaining.

avillanueva_0-1706711668539.png

When I executed a vault WContent verification check and everything comes back clear. No missing files. huh? I created a new report to check the FVItems against ApplicationData and it shows that there is no ApplicationData tied to these FVItems at all. Bad data? I would thing so. All show 0 bytes in the DB too. Now this article says that the CommonScheduleQueue should clear those no worries. Except that I waited a day and nothing. These also have existed for many weeks and odd that the timestamps show recent.  I think my only recourse is to remove the offending lines records right? Is there any other thing that can be tied to these?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Not quite. I can see that the job ran but there was no result. Odd. I ended up manually removing the 50 lines after backing them up. The remaining vault folders were remove and then the vault was removed so looks like I am all good. I will have to further play with this task since it does not appear to be functioning. One remaining question I have is why is this task running in the commonSchedlingQueue (executes on start up I can confirm) but not in the PurgeUnreferencedFvItemQueue? Perhaps its the age of my system when PTC ditched the queue in favor of the common one. Hmm. Anyway moving on...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Are the files in the external file vaults or the BLOBS?
Query ApplicationData for associations to the mainvault.  This article shows the relationships for building the query.
https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS121641

Are they recently created?  Remove Unreferenced Files doesn't typically pick up files created in the last couple of days.  Sometimes I wait a few days and remove unreferenced files again.

It has been a while since I did a full revaulting.  As I recall, revaulting cannot work for missing content files, zero length files, or incomplete business objects.  You may need to manually move them at the DB level.

I created this QueryBuilder report to get the data on the 50 FVITEMS:

avillanueva_0-1706724784631.png

ApplicationData to FVItem is outer joined so if the FVItem does not appear in the ApplicationData table, it will show nulls. I am also looking specifically at the the vault I am trying to remove which reports to have only 50 items matching this report. Notice AppData ID is null indicating there is no ApplicationData object referencing this FVItem.  Junk data? 

avillanueva_1-1706724863087.png

Thanks @mmeadows-3 for the help and information. I wrote this query to help get to the bottom of things:

SELECT COUNT(*)
FROM FVITEM
WHERE FVITEM.IDA2A2 NOT IN (SELECT IDA3A5 FROM APPLICATIONDATA)

Looks like there are 178 objects to deal with. This is the main article that deals with my issue:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS45217

I checked and the PurgeUnreferencedFvItemQueue is empty (odd) and I do not have values called out in that article.  Perhaps that is the issue. I would assume once I add them and restart, that a queue job would be created to process that and clear my issue. Much better than DB hacks.

Actually, looks like a restart might be all that's needed:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS277792?source=search

Not quite. I can see that the job ran but there was no result. Odd. I ended up manually removing the 50 lines after backing them up. The remaining vault folders were remove and then the vault was removed so looks like I am all good. I will have to further play with this task since it does not appear to be functioning. One remaining question I have is why is this task running in the commonSchedlingQueue (executes on start up I can confirm) but not in the PurgeUnreferencedFvItemQueue? Perhaps its the age of my system when PTC ditched the queue in favor of the common one. Hmm. Anyway moving on...

PS: Also learned that this rule applies when you trigger manual delete unreferenced files:

• The following property controls the handling for unreferenced Files
    • wt.fv.purgeUnreferencedFilesOlderThan - age of unreferenced files on the disk before they are considered for deletion (in days)
      • Set this property to 2 or higher
      • When this property is set to a value less than that, it will automatically default to 2

I can see it clearing my default cache vault folder but only files older than 2 days which is minimum setting.

Top Tags