cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Fellow admin needs some help with date code update...

WayneBeck
1-Newbie

Fellow admin needs some help with date code update...

I was trying to do my first date code update to windchill 9.1 M060 and have run into issues. I did a test update on my dev system and everything went went fine. So when I went to do my production system I updated the patches and database check and everthing was fine. When I went to do M070 it started fine then it errored out on the tomcat part of the install. I have looked at the logs and it gives me an error saying chmod line to long. So I tried to restore windchill from my backups and I cannot get it to run. I have opened a ticket with PTC but we only have support 5 days a week. Any input or help would be great.

5 REPLIES 5

Wayne,

One suggestion is find the offending line in the shell script put a
pause/read in its place and go do the equivalent chmod by hand.
It might take a couple cuts or you can do a chmod -R to recurse through
a directory structure.

--Bob

found my problem my tomcat/logs folder had to many log files in it. once I removed all the ones pre 2012 the install ran fine. So now my question is how long should log files be kept? In all areas.

Wayne,

That is a great question, look forward to the coming answers. I usually delete logs when I clear cache, which is weekly. My thinking is that when the cache is cleared out the logs are less relevant.

Bob
jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:WayneBeck)

In 10.0 and higher, logs older than 15 days are automatically cleared.

That can be enabled for R9.1 in M040 and higher as well, but the default
behavior was not changed in an MOR so as not to cause any surprises.

As for the Tomcat "cache", one should only remove the contents of
Tomcat's work directory when applying a patch, MOR, or customizaton
update -- but one should do so in these cases. [Actually in the case of
the customization update one can avoid clearing the work directory if
one ensures the modification dates of the resulting files match the time
when the customization update was deployed, rather than when it was
developed.]

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:WayneBeck)

I rename all log files nightly when we restart Windchill and move them to an archive_log folder once or twice a week.
I do a daily Oracle export, renaming the prior one first, every night. I delete the old dump files, one or two times a week, keeping 2 dumps. I don’t have room to keep them a long time as each dump file is over 12GB.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.
Top Tags