cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

For WVS publishing, Creo, different number of files downloaded by CAD worker than by a CAD user to a workspace? Fails thumbnail generation.

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

For WVS publishing, Creo, different number of files downloaded by CAD worker than by a CAD user to a workspace? Fails thumbnail generation.

Please see attached document.  Puzzled what is going on.

We seem to have a zillion drawings that behave this way.

5 REPLIES 5
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:MikeLockwood)

Are there family table instances?  Have you looked at the trail file on the CAD worker?  Is there a traceback file?

I'm not sure the number of objects is the issue.  If you made it to thumbnail generation, the drawing conversion is already finished.  The thumbnail is simply created from the resulting object.  I think it is possible to disable thumbnail generation in the recipe file.  Might be worth trying that as well.

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:TomU)

To be precise, I should have described it as different number of "objects" vs. "files."  Seems that it should be 1:1 for CAD worker workspace and user workspace.

I have in fact tried turning off thumbnail generation and when doing so, these jobs complete w/o no issue.  But, it's very helpful to have the thumbnails in general.

Where to look for what is happening after the drawing has been processed while it's trying to create a thumbnail?  Note: thumbnail.exe shows in the task mgr with a fairly high memory use.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:MikeLockwood)

When you open the drawing with Creo (to make the PVZ), how many files end up in your workspace?  If you do a "Save-a-backup" from Creo, how many files end up on disk?

I don't see an executable called "thumbnail.exe" on my CAD worker.  Are you referring to the CAD worker or the Windchill server?

When the recipe option is checked, I believe Creo actually creates the thumbnails, but I'm not positive...

Lots of configuration can done for thumbnails if they are generated by the cadworker. The cadworker uses pvsthumb.exe to create the thumbnails from the just created pvz file (like Tom just mentioned).

Take a look at CS46170: https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS46170

This issue actually deals with complex models more so than drawings. I have set the following 2 windchill properties:

thumbnail.generator.extents = false

thumbnail.cadagenttimeout = 10800

I have also set adapter/useMinMemTriCount to a very large number in thumbnail.rcp.  From PTC Tech Support about adapter/useMinMemTriCount:

"In Creo View Adapters CAD model geometry is interpreted as triangles count.

Out of the box Creo View Adapters are configured to use Minimum Memory for thumbnail generation when count reached 5000000.

In our case as a workaround we are increasing this triangles count to 15000000 so that it will not go for Minimum Memory consumption (RAM) mode during Thumbnail generation.

During in-house testing I am able to generate thumbnail in about 20-30 minutes with modified value where it took hours with default value."

So basically this controls how much memory pvsthumb.exe can use when creating thumbnails. Upping this (if you have the memory) will greatly speed up thumbnail generation. My proe2pv.rcp file. Note how it includes the thumbnail.rcp file:

======================================================

file=proe2pv-rcp

ver=5

lastp=gen

adapter/outputAuthorState=1

adapter/outputGzipDWG=1

adapter/outputDatumCurve=1

adapter/outputAnnotPlanar=1

adapter/outputAnnotFloat=1

adapter/outputAnnotScreen=1

adapter/useTransparency=1

adapter/regenerateModel=1

adapter/regenerateDrawing=1

adapter/pdfFontControl=1

adapter/pdfUsePenTable=1

adapter/useTexture=1

adapter/serverVersion=1020

adapter/proeCommand=c:\/ptc\/creo3.0\/Creo 3.0\/M120\/Parametric\/bin\/cp_fv.bat

adapter/timeoutShortHelper=4800

adapter/timeoutLongHelper=5400

adapter/plotter=cadworker_color

adapter/sourceOutputRemove=1

adapter/thumbRecipe=C:\\home\\cadwrkr\\thumbnail.rcp

adapter/useHelperRestart=0

adapter/abortErrorList=56290

adapter/failErrorList=56123 56125 56328

adapter/outputPView=1200

And my thumbnail.rcp file: