cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

GC overhead limit exceeded.....

WayneBeck
1-Newbie

GC overhead limit exceeded.....

Ok so a few weeks ago we upgraded to M070 of Windchill 9.1. Since then we have add some stability issues that I have open with PTC. But today I got this error. GC overhead limit exceeded. This came up when someone did a search and then I got it when I went to my home tab. Any input would be great.

3 REPLIES 3
jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:WayneBeck)

That seems simple enough -- one of the server processes has essentially
run out of memory.

Google "outofmemoryerror gc overhead limit exceeded" and you'll see lots
of information about this error.

The server logs should make it clear which process ran out of memory.

Whether one of your server processes has been given too little memory or
whether you have something that's using way to much memory and/or
failing to release memory is a much trickier question...

Hi Wayne, I would check your java args to see if Explicit GC collection is disabled or not.

Something similar to this...though there is another one like this for the ServerManager.

Now, that being said if your system isn't tuned up just right (principal cache is too small etc) the system will become overworked with and as such garbage collection will run a lot. I'm guessing its most likely a tuning issue.

<property name="wt.manager.cmd.MethodServer.gc.log.args" overridable="true"&lt;br"/> targetFile="codebase/wt.properties"
value="-Xloggc:$(wt.logs.dir)$(dir.sep){1}-{2,date,yyMMddHHmmssSSS}-{0}-GC.log -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+DisableExplicitGC"/>

[cid:image001.gif@01CD81CB.82796370]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer

Please refer to the below link to help resolve the issue,
Top Tags