cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How do I audit individual user activity in PDM Link 10.2?

tjerome
9-Granite

How do I audit individual user activity in PDM Link 10.2?

I need to audit the activity that is, what folders, docs, files that the person is accessing in Windchill PDM Link 10.2.

How do I generate a report or see this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I created a Saved Search called 'Search by User' to helps me find what people have changed and then use the Modified By and Last Modified fields because that also includes objects Created By them. If needed, I would do a separate search to see if they have anything Check Out. You can add more or less Criteria as needed and leave them blank if they're not needed.

Search Windchill by User.jpg

This doesn't capture what they've been looking at but not modifying.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

I created a Saved Search called 'Search by User' to helps me find what people have changed and then use the Modified By and Last Modified fields because that also includes objects Created By them. If needed, I would do a separate search to see if they have anything Check Out. You can add more or less Criteria as needed and leave them blank if they're not needed.

Search Windchill by User.jpg

This doesn't capture what they've been looking at but not modifying.

Thank you Lucas, you provided me the answer I was looking for! Really helped me a bunch! Wishing you the best!

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:tjerome)

If you get real ambitious, Security Audit Reporting (see Site, Utilities, at the bottom) includes a lot more - including every Product / Library accessed, what files downloaded, etc.  Just have to set each to TRUE in configaudit.xml.

Mike will that flood my PTC Logs directory with verbose logging?

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Doesn't go in the logs that I know of.  Populates a database table with "audit" in the name - forgot which one.  Have to periodically purge (from the same area - Site, Util, Sec Audit Reporting.

Ok Mike I am going to give it a go and report my results, thanks!!

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

So, about editing configAudit.xml:

- is done on the Windchill server

- directly edit the text file (unusual - no xconf file involved); make a backup copy before editing just in case

- have to restart Windchill to make effective

- the lines in the file are not all that straight-forward to understand what they do; I would create a tech support case asking PTC exactly what lines to make from false to true to record the events of interest

Can see how many records are created every so often either by querying the database table directly or by starting to purge the records and then canceling

Top Tags