cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How do I get Setup Participants in PDMLink 10 to act like it did in 9.

ptc-1620168
1-Newbie

How do I get Setup Participants in PDMLink 10 to act like it did in 9.

For ease of permissions management I put users in groups.

I then put those groups in roles in libraries.

In a PDMLink 9.1 setup participants workflow task, I could assign a task to any user in the applicable role no matter which group they were in. I can't even see the groups.

In a 10.x setup participants workflow task, I see the groups in each role and users not in a group that have been added to roles but no users if they are in a group.

There is no way to expand the group or any setting that I can find to allow me to select users that are in groups.

Without groups, my permissions management is shot.

This work well in 9.1 but has been completely reworked in 10.

I submitted a case to PTC TS and went round and round, before and after escalating the case, trying to explain the issue and they all acted like they had no idea what I was talking about.

Eventually one of them said that it was probably impossible but he would make sure with R&D.

This functionality is necessary for our processes and just makes sense to have in the application.

I am dumbfounded as to why PTC TS acts like they have not heard of this, why I can't find any information on this, and why no one else seems to be complaining as I am.

I now need to consider third-party solutions but don't really know where to start.

Had anyone else had this issue?

Any solutions or ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:LoriSood)

Joe,

I spoke with the TSE on this case. See the attached video for an example of how to utilize the Keir's and the product manager's suggestion.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Would love to see some screen captures of this.

Please tell me I'm overlooking something simple.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:ptc-1620168)

I assume that using the Set Up Participants applet also doesn't give you what you need?

http://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS22405

BenPerry
13-Aquamarine

Lori,

We have a valid maintenance account, but I'm getting the error:

Error: Document 22405 is not customer viewable as it is an internal PTC document.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:BenPerry)

My apologies. I've made the article public.

The article in your response has nothing to do with my question.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

Hi Joe,

I asked product management about this, and got the following response as to why the functionality was changed:

The Set Up Participants UI was changed from its old matrix format (of roles vs users) in response to customer complaints that the old UI did not suit scenarios with a large number of roles in an organization – the x-axis of that matrix became unreasonably long in such cases.

There is no way to expand a group in the Collaboration team UI, but if a customer needs to select individual users from a group for inclusion in an object’s collaboration team, then rather than including the group(s) in the team directly, they could include the group(s) in the resource pool for (the target role in) that activity. They can then search for and select individual desired users from those groups using the Set Up Participants UI.

This confirms that Keir's suggestion is the recommended way of handling this.

Joe,

You've probably looked at this already, but you may want to check the Resource Pool settings for each Workflow Task. You can make a Group a Resource Pool... I think you may even be able to include multiple Groups in a Resource Pool. Setting a Group as a Resource Pool did allow visibility to Users in the Group

The other thing that I got tripped up on initially was getting the Roles populated automatically as opposed to remaining empty. Resolution to this was to create an Object Team. In the new Interface it had the effect of populating all possible participants based on the Resource Pool which allowed the User that was setting Participants to select one or more participants per Role and deselect using the big red minus icon (much easier for Users than initiating a participant picker).

I don't think I can help you any on the grid view/functionality of 9, but I can say that the 10x Select participants UI does seem to be easier to understand for regular Users.

rwelch
6-Contributor
(To:kpritchard)

Keir,

I am a bit confused. How and / or where did you create the "Object Team" that your refer to?

Thanks,

Ron

kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:rwelch)

You create Object Teams in Context Utilities (let's assume Org) > Team Administration. The Out of the Box Teams used by Change Management will be visible at the Site level.

I thank you both Lori and Keir for you replies but I can't seem to follow either suggestion to a successful resolution.

I have tried adding groups to the resource pool, in the Set up Participants task, in individual tasks, and in a Team.

I have tried every combination I can think of.

Are either of you willing to provide a screenshot demonstration?

In Lori's case maybe even a webex? My case # is 12156067.

Thanks,

joe bell

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

Hi Joe,

The typical procedure for this would be to have the TSE in charge of your case help you through this. I've contacted him about getting in touch with you. I will offer any assistance to him for this that I can.

Thanks,
Lori

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

Joe,

I spoke with the TSE on this case. See the attached video for an example of how to utilize the Keir's and the product manager's suggestion.

Thanks Lori.

You went above and beyond.

I was looking for a solution that didn't involve Search.

Thank you for all your time and effort.

Top Tags